Subject: Re: bug#11395: 24.0.96; Sporadic crashing

From: Richard Stanton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 09:48:29 -0700

It just crashed! It took several days for this to show up, and all I was
doing at the time was typing text...

Here's the backtrace (plus everything else that appeared on the screen
after I told it to run Emacs).

Please let me know what further information you need.

(gdb) r
Starting program: 
/RHS/packages/emacs-24.0.96/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs
Reading symbols for shared libraries
++++++++++.................................................................
.............................................................. done
Reading symbols for shared libraries . done
Reading symbols for shared libraries . done
Reading symbols for shared libraries . done
Reading symbols for shared libraries . done
Reading symbols for shared libraries . done
May 15 11:27:47 richard-stantons-mac-pro.local Emacs[3609] <Error>:
CGContextGetCTM: invalid context 0x0
May 15 11:27:47 richard-stantons-mac-pro.local Emacs[3609] <Error>:
CGContextSetBaseCTM: invalid context 0x0
May 15 12:31:55 richard-stantons-mac-pro.local Emacs[3609] <Error>:
CGContextGetCTM: invalid context 0x0
May 15 12:31:55 richard-stantons-mac-pro.local Emacs[3609] <Error>:
CGContextSetBaseCTM: invalid context 0x0
Reading symbols for shared libraries . done
May 15 14:55:54 richard-stantons-mac-pro.local Emacs[3609] <Error>:
CGContextGetCTM: invalid context 0x0
May 15 14:55:54 richard-stantons-mac-pro.local Emacs[3609] <Error>:
CGContextSetBaseCTM: invalid context 0x0
May 15 14:56:01 richard-stantons-mac-pro.local Emacs[3609] <Error>:
CGContextGetCTM: invalid context 0x0
May 15 14:56:01 richard-stantons-mac-pro.local Emacs[3609] <Error>:
CGContextSetBaseCTM: invalid context 0x0
Reading symbols for shared libraries ... done
Reading symbols for shared libraries . done
Reading symbols for shared libraries ......... done
Reading symbols for shared libraries . done
Reading symbols for shared libraries . done

Program received signal EXC_BAD_ACCESS, Could not access memory.
Reason: 13 at address: 0x0000000000000000
0x00000001001cf0a4 in mem_insert (start=0x10fa29010, end=0x10fa29088,
type=MEM_TYPE_VECTORLIKE) at alloc.c:3585
3585	      c = start < c->start ? c->left : c->right;
(gdb) bt
#0  0x00000001001cf0a4 in mem_insert (start=0x10fa29010, end=0x10fa29088,
type=MEM_TYPE_VECTORLIKE) at alloc.c:3585
#1  0x00000001001cb45e in lisp_malloc (nbytes=120,
type=MEM_TYPE_VECTORLIKE) at alloc.c:918
#2  0x00000001001cde02 in allocate_vectorlike (len=13) at alloc.c:2948
#3  0x00000001001cdf22 in allocate_pseudovector (memlen=13, lisplen=13,
tag=2097152) at alloc.c:2988
#4  0x0000000100219313 in font_make_spec () at font.c:174
#5  0x0000000100226dbc in copy_font_spec (font=4488910229) at font.c:3875
#6  0x00000001002230d6 in font_clear_prop (attrs=0x7fff5fbf8740,
prop=FONT_WEIGHT_INDEX) at font.c:2982
#7  0x000000010011744d in merge_face_vectors (f=0x105203fb0,
from=0x7fff5fbf7eb8, to=0x7fff5fbf8740, named_merge_points=0x7fff5fbf7f60)
at xfaces.c:2350
#8  0x0000000100116d89 in merge_named_face (f=0x105203fb0,
face_name=4324754282, to=0x7fff5fbf8740,
named_merge_points=0x7fff5fbf7f60) at xfaces.c:2387
#9  0x0000000100117f37 in merge_face_ref (f=0x105203fb0,
face_ref=4324754282, to=0x7fff5fbf8740, err_msgs=0,
named_merge_points=0x7fff5fbf81b0) at xfaces.c:2637
#10 0x0000000100117031 in merge_face_vectors (f=0x105203fb0,
from=0x7fff5fbf8108, to=0x7fff5fbf8740, named_merge_points=0x7fff5fbf81b0)
at xfaces.c:2315
#11 0x0000000100116d89 in merge_named_face (f=0x105203fb0,
face_name=4434249458, to=0x7fff5fbf8740,
named_merge_points=0x7fff5fbf81b0) at xfaces.c:2387
#12 0x0000000100117f37 in merge_face_ref (f=0x105203fb0,
face_ref=4434249458, to=0x7fff5fbf8740, err_msgs=0,
named_merge_points=0x7fff5fbf8400) at xfaces.c:2637
#13 0x0000000100117031 in merge_face_vectors (f=0x105203fb0,
from=0x7fff5fbf8358, to=0x7fff5fbf8740, named_merge_points=0x7fff5fbf8400)
at xfaces.c:2315
#14 0x0000000100116d89 in merge_named_face (f=0x105203fb0,
face_name=4434716402, to=0x7fff5fbf8740,
named_merge_points=0x7fff5fbf8400) at xfaces.c:2387
#15 0x0000000100117f37 in merge_face_ref (f=0x105203fb0,
face_ref=4434716402, to=0x7fff5fbf8740, err_msgs=1,
named_merge_points=0x0) at xfaces.c:2637
#16 0x0000000100121b25 in face_at_buffer_position (w=0x10168aa70, pos=559,
region_beg=-1, region_end=-1, endptr=0x7fff5fbf88e8, limit=659, mouse=0,
base_face_id=0) at xfaces.c:6033
#17 0x000000010002eb56 in handle_face_prop (it=0x7fff5fbf9c98) at
xdisp.c:3593
#18 0x000000010002d751 in handle_stop (it=0x7fff5fbf9c98) at xdisp.c:3106
#19 0x000000010003cd0c in next_element_from_buffer (it=0x7fff5fbf9c98) at
xdisp.c:7721
#20 0x000000010003822a in get_next_display_element (it=0x7fff5fbf9c98) at
xdisp.c:6414
#21 0x0000000100062de0 in display_line (it=0x7fff5fbf9c98) at xdisp.c:19038
#22 0x00000001000585eb in try_window (window=4318603893, pos={charpos = 1,
bytepos = 1}, flags=1) at xdisp.c:16031
#23 0x0000000100055e71 in redisplay_window (window=4318603893,
just_this_one_p=1) at xdisp.c:15556
#24 0x000000010004e841 in redisplay_window_1 (window=4318603893) at
xdisp.c:13650
#25 0x00000001001fd520 in internal_condition_case_1 (bfun=0x10004e800
<redisplay_window_1>, arg=4318603893, handlers=4320154566,
hfun=0x10004e740 <redisplay_window_error>) at eval.c:1553
#26 0x000000010004d0d7 in redisplay_internal () at xdisp.c:13275
#27 0x000000010004a379 in redisplay () at xdisp.c:12422
#28 0x000000010012c6e9 in read_char (commandflag=1, nmaps=5,
maps=0x7fff5fbfe9c0, prev_event=4320145466,
used_mouse_menu=0x7fff5fbfecd4, end_time=0x0) at keyboard.c:2448
#29 0x000000010013e6a2 in read_key_sequence (keybuf=0x7fff5fbfef60,
bufsize=30, prompt=4320145466, dont_downcase_last=0,
can_return_switch_frame=1, fix_current_buffer=1) at keyboard.c:9328
#30 0x0000000100129952 in command_loop_1 () at keyboard.c:1449
#31 0x00000001001fd385 in internal_condition_case (bfun=0x100129440
<command_loop_1>, handlers=4320201578, hfun=0x100128980 <cmd_error>) at
eval.c:1515
#32 0x0000000100128f4f in command_loop_2 (ignore=4320145466) at
keyboard.c:1160
#33 0x00000001001fcbc5 in internal_catch (tag=4320197578, func=0x100128f20
<command_loop_2>, arg=4320145466) at eval.c:1272
#34 0x0000000100128ed2 in command_loop () at keyboard.c:1139
#35 0x0000000100128309 in recursive_edit_1 () at keyboard.c:759
#36 0x000000010012854d in Frecursive_edit () at keyboard.c:823
#37 0x0000000100125dd0 in main (argc=1, argv=0x7fff5fbff8c0) at
emacs.c:1715
(gdb) 

On 5/11/12 11:35 PM, "Chong Yidong" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>Richard Stanton <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Will do. Anything I need to know about running it inside gdb? Also, do
>> I need to do anything special to get a backtrace if it crashes?
>
>Start gdb from the src/ directory of the Emacs directory tree, like
>this:
>
>gdb emacs
>
>Then type "r" at the gdb prompt to start Emacs.  If/when you get a
>crash, type "bt" to get the backtrace and report it.  Then please keep
>the Emacs and gdb window open (it is OK to minimize it) until you hear
>back from us, so that we can ask you to do further debugging.
>
>Thanks.