Subject: 24.0.96; Sporadic crashing

From: Richard Stanton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 13:37:51 -0700

This bug report will be sent to the Bug-GNU-Emacs mailing list
and the GNU bug tracker at debbugs.gnu.org.  Please check that
the From: line contains a valid email address.  After a delay of up
to one day, you should receive an acknowledgement at that address.

Please write in English if possible, as the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators for other languages.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug, and
the precise symptoms of the bug.  If you can, give a recipe
starting from `emacs -Q':

I've been using Emacs + org-mode quite a bit over the last 24 hours, and
during this period Emacs has randomly hung multiple times.
Sometimes this occurs when I have just asked Emacs to process the org file
to a PDF file, but sometimes it occurs when I'm just typing. Sometimes the
hang involves Emacs literally disappearing, and sometimes I just get an
infinite rotating ball. There's nothing obviously predictable about when
this occurs, and it's happened maybe 10 times in the last 24 hours.

By the way, I just tried going back to 24.0.95 and it hung (once) too, so
it's
not just this version of Emacs.

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.96.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin, NS apple-appkit-1038.36)
of 2012-04-27 on bob.porkrind.org
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1138
Configured using:
`configure '--host=x86_64-apple-darwin' '--build=i686-apple-darwin'
'--with-ns' 'build_alias=i686-apple-darwin'
'host_alias=x86_64-apple-darwin' 'CC=gcc -mmacosx-version-min=10.5''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: nil
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: nil
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Org

Minor modes in effect:
  TeX-PDF-mode: t
  TeX-source-correlate-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  org-beamer-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  visual-line-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Recent input:
C-x C-s C-c C-e p C-c C-e d <up> <up> <up> <up> <up>
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up>
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <right> <right>
<right> 1 <backspace> C-a C-k C-y C-k C-y <down> <up>
C-k C-k C-y C-@ <down> M-w C-y C-y C-y C-y C-y <down>
<down> C-@ <down> <down> <down> C-k <up> <up> <up>
C-k C-y C-k C-y <down> <down> <down> <down> C-k C-y
C-k C-y <up> C-k C-y <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up>
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up>
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> C-k C-k C-k C-k
<down> <down> <return> <return> <up> C-y C-x C-s C-c
C-e p <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> C-a C-e <left> <left>
<left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left>
<left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left>
<left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left>
<left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left>
<left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left>
<left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left>
<left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left>
<left> <left> <left> C-a C-k C-y <C-return> C-y <C-return>
C-y <C-return> C-y <C-return> C-y <C-return> C-y <C-return>
C-y <C-return> C-y <C-return> C-y <C-return> C-y <C-return>
C-y <C-return> C-y <C-return> C-y <C-return> C-y <C-return>
C-y C-x C-s <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> M-x o r g - v
e r SPC <return> C-x b * M e s <return> <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement>
<mouse-movement> <drag-mouse-1> M-c C-a C-k C-y <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-1> C-x b <return> C-a <up> C-@ <down> <down>
<down> <down> M-w <C-end> <return> C-y <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-1> M-x e m a c s - b u g SPC <help-echo> <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-1> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> r e
p o r t SPC SPC SPC <return>

Recent messages:
Wrote /Users/stanton/reviews/Stanford/ttt.tex
LaTeX export done, pushed to kill ring and clipboard
Processing LaTeX file /Users/stanton/reviews/Stanford/ttt.tex...done
Exporting to PDF...done
Mark set [15 times]
Saving file /Users/stanton/reviews/Stanford/ttt.org...
Wrote /Users/stanton/reviews/Stanford/ttt.org
Org-mode version 7.8.09 (release_7.8.09-482-gf47915 @
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/lisp/org-inst
all.el)
Mark set [4 times]
delete-backward-char: Text is read-only [4 times]

Load-path shadows:
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/Pymacs-0.23/pymacs
hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/python-mode/pymacs
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/dvc/lisp/ewoc hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/dvc/lisp/contrib/ewoc
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/org-mode/.dir-locals
hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/gnus/.dir-locals
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/dvc/lisp/ewoc hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/emacs-lisp/ewoc

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message rfc822 mml mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader tabify reftex-vcr reftex-dcr bib-cite flyspell ispell preview
prv-emacs tex-buf font-latex latex tex-style tex latexenc help-mode view
vc-hg vc-bzr bzr-dvc tla smerge-mode newcomment dvc-state dvc-config
diff tla-gnus dvc-gnus dvc-cmenu dvc-about dvc-version bzr dvc-annotate
dvc-revlist dvc-diff dvc-fileinfo bzr-core tla-core pp tla-autoconf
tla-defs dvc-log vc vc-dispatcher dvc-unified dvc-tips dired-x dired
ffap ediff-merg ediff-diff ediff-wind ediff-help ediff-util ediff-mult
ediff-init ediff xdarcs-core xgit-core xhg-core xmtn-minimal
reftex-parse reftex reftex-vars org-wl org-w3m org-vm org-rmail org-mhe
org-mew org-irc org-jsinfo org-infojs org-html org-info org-gnus
org-docview org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb time cus-start cus-load
python-mode skeleton derived rx shell compile org-latex org-export-latex
org-beamer org-exp ob-exp org-exp-blocks org-agenda footnote ob-C
cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine
cc-vars cc-defs ob-perl ob-R ob-python org byte-opt warnings bytecomp
byte-compile cconv macroexp ob-emacs-lisp ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table org-footnote org-src ob-comint ob-keys ob ob-eval org-pcomplete
pcomplete comint ansi-color org-list org-faces org-compat org-entities
org-macs noutline outline format-spec find-func cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs org-install preview-latex tex-site auto-loads server
dvc-autoloads dvc-core dvc-lisp dvc-buffers dvc-ui dvc-register
dvc-utils dvc-emacs ewoc dvc-defs dvc-site magit-bisect magit-key-mode
assoc magit diff-mode log-edit easy-mmode ring pcvs-util add-log
color-theme edmacro kmacro cl sendmail regexp-opt rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils reporter package tabulated-list
recentf tree-widget wid-edit uniquify advice help-fns advice-preload ido
info easymenu time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel ns-win tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs
button faces cus-face files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process ns multi-tty emacs)