Subject: bug#11395: 24.0.96; Sporadic crashing

From: Richard Stanton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 13:45:01 -0700

I've compiled emacs with -g, and can load the executable under gdb.
However:

1) When run this way, where does Emacs look by default for my own .el
files? Normally I put them under
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp, which Emacs under OS
X searches (along with all subdirectories) automatically.

2) When I type a key in the resulting Emacs window, the character I just
typed appears in the shell window, not the Emacs window. How do I get
around that?

Thanks.

On 5/11/12 11:35 PM, "Chong Yidong" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>Richard Stanton <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Will do. Anything I need to know about running it inside gdb? Also, do
>> I need to do anything special to get a backtrace if it crashes?
>
>Start gdb from the src/ directory of the Emacs directory tree, like
>this:
>
>gdb emacs
>
>Then type "r" at the gdb prompt to start Emacs.  If/when you get a
>crash, type "bt" to get the backtrace and report it.  Then please keep
>the Emacs and gdb window open (it is OK to minimize it) until you hear
>back from us, so that we can ask you to do further debugging.
>
>Thanks.