Subject: Re: bug#11395: 24.0.96; Sporadic crashing

From: Richard Stanton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 15:15:32 -0700

I've just been able to get Emacs to crash twice in the last few minutes by
repeatedly pressing C-c C-e p in an org buffer to get it to re-export as a
LaTeX file and export to PDF (where it should then automatically be
displayed in an already open instance of Skim). This works usually, but
sometimes, instead, Skim disappears from view, and then Emacs crashes,
either vanishing completely or showing me an infinite rotating ball.

Here's the Console dump from the last such crash:

Process:         Emacs [52617]
Path:            /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs
Identifier:      org.gnu.Emacs
Version:         Version 24.0.96 (9.0)
Code Type:       X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process:  launchd [262]

Date/Time:       2012-05-03 15:06:15.740 -0700
OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.7.3 (11D50)
Report Version:  9

Crashed Thread:  0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes: 0x000000000000000d, 0x0000000000000000

VM Regions Near 0:
--> 
    __TEXT                 0000000100000000-00000001001f4000 [ 2000K]
r-x/rwx SM=COW  /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs

Application Specific Information:
objc[52617]: garbage collection is OFF
abort() called

Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0   libsystem_kernel.dylib        	0x00007fff8ea3982a __kill + 10
1   org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x00000001000a2ae0 fatal_error_signal +
320 (emacs.c:366)
2   libsystem_c.dylib             	0x00007fff8d04acfa _sigtramp + 26
3   libsystem_kernel.dylib        	0x00007fff8ea39ce2 __pthread_kill + 10
4   libsystem_c.dylib             	0x00007fff8cff87d2 pthread_kill + 95
5   libsystem_c.dylib             	0x00007fff8cfe9a7a abort + 143
6   org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x000000010018cc21 ns_term_shutdown +
129
7   org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x00000001000a09bf shut_down_emacs +
239 (emacs.c:2127)
8   org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x00000001000a2aaf fatal_error_signal +
271 (emacs.c:360)
9   libsystem_c.dylib             	0x00007fff8d04acfa _sigtramp + 26
10  org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x00000001000fe623 mem_delete + 99
(alloc.c:3785)
11  org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x00000001000fea70 lisp_align_free +
112 (alloc.c:1146)
12  org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x0000000100102dc2 Fgarbage_collect +
3666 (alloc.c:5951)
13  org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x00000001001555d4 exec_byte_code +
2324 (bytecode.c:855)
14  org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x000000010011dc6a funcall_lambda + 938
(eval.c:3233)
15  org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x000000010011d3d2 apply_lambda + 402
(eval.c:3113)
16  org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x000000010011cfd7 eval_sub + 1943
(eval.c:2395)
17  org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x000000010011ebca
internal_lisp_condition_case + 538 (eval.c:1470)
18  org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x00000001001559ef exec_byte_code +
3375 (bytecode.c:981)
19  org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x000000010011dc6a funcall_lambda + 938
(eval.c:3233)
20  org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x000000010011b194 Ffuncall + 1188
(eval.c:3051)
21  org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x0000000100155325 exec_byte_code +
1637 (bytecode.c:785)
22  org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x000000010011dc6a funcall_lambda + 938
(eval.c:3233)
23  org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x000000010011b194 Ffuncall + 1188
(eval.c:3051)
24  org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x0000000100155325 exec_byte_code +
1637 (bytecode.c:785)
25  org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x000000010011dc6a funcall_lambda + 938
(eval.c:3233)
26  org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x000000010011b194 Ffuncall + 1188
(eval.c:3051)
27  org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x0000000100155325 exec_byte_code +
1637 (bytecode.c:785)
28  org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x000000010011dc6a funcall_lambda + 938
(eval.c:3233)
29  org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x000000010011b194 Ffuncall + 1188
(eval.c:3051)
30  org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x0000000100155325 exec_byte_code +
1637 (bytecode.c:785)
31  org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x000000010011dc6a funcall_lambda + 938
(eval.c:3233)
32  org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x000000010011b194 Ffuncall + 1188
(eval.c:3051)
33  org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x0000000100117aa9 Fcall_interactively
+ 5833 (callint.c:852)
34  org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x000000010011b0d3 Ffuncall + 995
(eval.c:3009)
35  org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x0000000100155325 exec_byte_code +
1637 (bytecode.c:785)
36  org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x000000010011dc6a funcall_lambda + 938
(eval.c:3233)
37  org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x000000010011b194 Ffuncall + 1188
(eval.c:3051)
38  org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x0000000100117aa9 Fcall_interactively
+ 5833 (callint.c:852)
39  org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x000000010011b0d3 Ffuncall + 995
(eval.c:3009)
40  org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x000000010011e056 call3 + 38
(eval.c:2802)
41  org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x00000001000b4bb5 command_loop_1 +
1605 (keyboard.c:1580)
42  org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x000000010011e883
internal_condition_case + 291 (eval.c:1516)
43  org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x00000001000b454e command_loop_2 + 62
(keyboard.c:1161)
44  org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x000000010011e988 internal_catch + 216
(eval.c:1272)
45  org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x00000001000b6070 recursive_edit_1 +
240 (keyboard.c:1140)
46  org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x00000001000a5e3c Frecursive_edit +
236 (keyboard.c:823)
47  org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x00000001000a291f main + 6223
(emacs.c:1715)
48  org.gnu.Emacs                 	0x0000000100001b94 start + 52

Thread 1:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.libdispatch-manager
0   libsystem_kernel.dylib        	0x00007fff8ea3a7e6 kevent + 10
1   libdispatch.dylib             	0x00007fff956a65be _dispatch_mgr_invoke
+ 923
2   libdispatch.dylib             	0x00007fff956a514e _dispatch_mgr_thread
+ 54

Thread 0 crashed with X86 Thread State (64-bit):
  rax: 0x0000000000000000  rbx: 0x0000000000000006  rcx:
0x00007fff5fbfd7e8  rdx: 0x0000000000000000
  rdi: 0x000000000000cd89  rsi: 0x0000000000000006  rbp:
0x00007fff5fbfd810  rsp: 0x00007fff5fbfd7e8
   r8: 0x00007fff5fbfdcb0   r9: 0x0000000000000010  r10:
0x00007fff8ea39d0a  r11: 0xffffff80002d8220
  r12: 0x0000000103541400  r13: 0x0000000000000000  r14:
0x00007fff79aed960  r15: 0x000000000000cd89
  rip: 0x00007fff8ea3982a  rfl: 0x0000000000000202  cr2: 0x00007fff79ae4a28
Logical CPU: 0