Subject: Re: bug#11386: C++11 support: C++ mode gets (temporarily) confused by edits to convert "> >" to ">>" in templates

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: 18 Nov 2014 21:15:19 -0000

Guten Abend, Ruediger.

In article <[email-masked]> you wrote:
> tags 11386 fixed

> Should be fixed in 66bb9533fc77963c495de7f33ec6dc8e4d342a55

OUTCH!!!

Any chance you could be a little more informative with messages like this,
please?

The message as it stands suggests "I have just committed a fix as revision
66bb95...".  The id 66bb95..., like all ids in git, carries no context,
no age, no nothing.

Better would have been to use the "present perfect" tense: "Should have
been fixed in 66bb95...", which would have placed the action of fixing
in the non-immediate past.

Better still would have been to give details of the fix, something like
"Should have been fixed in 66bb953... by Alan Mackenzie in August, title
line "Make ">>" act as double template ender in C++ Mode."".

Possibly the best thing of all would have been to construct an Eric
Raymond style commit identifier, but I haven't got the syntax memorised
yet.

Any of these would have prevented me errupting in uncalled-for panic and
fury.

Thanks!

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).