Subject: Re: bug#11379: emacs 24; compilation fails in debug mode

From: Francesco Potortì <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2012 00:15:10 +0200

>Dov Grobgeld wrote:
>
>>   ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/public-dev/ CPPFLAGS=-DDEBUG CFLAGS="-g
>> -O0"
>
>FYI, there is no "debug mode" for compiling Emacs.
>Or rather, if there is, it is to configure with --enable-checking or
>something similar.
>
>-DDEBUG appears to be something that the authors of a few specialized
>files have used for their own convenience; or was inherited from files
>that also lived outside Emacs at one time. So I wouldn't expect to get
>much out of trying to compile all of Emacs with it (why did you try?).
>
>In the particular case of etags, it may well be referring to some
>external .h file that the maintainer wrote for his own use.
>(maybe http://fly.isti.cnr.it/pub/software/C/chkmalloc.h ?)

Yes, that's it.  It makes no sense using -DDEBUG while compiling etags
outside of the development environment I use to maintain etags.