Subject: Re: bug#11365: 24.1.50; quitting gdb does not restore window configuration

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 May 2012 12:25:07 +0200

> quit-window is not a solution, because it often kills the window.

Only if it was specially created by `display-buffer' before.

 > I live in a maximized emacs frame which is split vertically in to two
 > columns, and an indiscriminate use of quit-window quickly destroys that.

This should not happen in the case at hand: The gud window is either
created or reused via `display-buffer'.

Anyway, we could provide a `quit-window-function' variable.  Or maybe a
`display-buffer-record-window-function' which can set up the
quit-restore parameter in some way and, if the first element of the
quit-restore parameter is a function, have `quit-window' call that
function, passing it the cdr of the quit-restore parameter as argument.

 > In fact, I would like a feature which would make these two side-by-side
 > windows indestructible (i.e., prevent them from being destroyed other
 > than by an explicit interactive C-x 0).  I guess I can set their
 > delete-window parameters to ignore but then
 >
 > -1- C-x 0 will NOT delete them while

You could set the `delete-window' parameter to some home-brewed function
that deletes the window for C-x 0 only.  Probably, you then might have
to do something similar for C-x 1 ...

 > -2- any application which binds ignore-window-parameters to t will
 >     delete them.

Applications binding `ignore-window-parameters' should know what they
are doing.

 > but I digress...

martin