Subject: bug#11365: 24.1.50; quitting gdb does not restore window configuration

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 May 2012 12:24:47 +0200

> Why in gud-common-init?  Why not in gdb-many-windows?

Because `gud-common-init' sets up the initial *gud- window.  At the time
`gdb-many-windows' is called (if it is called at all) the knowledge
about any previous window buffer is lost because it got changed by
`gud-common-init'.

 > The other method of invoking GDB, gdb-gud, does not change the window
 > configuration in any significant way, and never restored window
 > configuration for as long as the old "M-x gdb" existed.

Sam complained that

 >> *gud-lisp.run* buffer and window are preserved

and that

 >> it does not restore the window configuration which existed
 >> when at M-x gdb RET time.

Your proposal would address neither of these.

 > So I think we
 > can limit this feature to gdb-many-windows, which _does_ change the
 > window configuration in dramatic ways.

It does so, indeed.

martin