Subject: bug#11364: [debbugs-tracker] Processed: severity 11364 wishlist

From: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 14:29:50 +0800

"Drew Adams" <[email-masked]> writes:

>> M-x delete-selection-mode ; turn it on
>> 
>> Double click a word, sexp, line, or what have you.  Or select 
>> the region some other way.  The point is to get an active region.
>> 
>> Use `left', `right', `up', or `down' cursor keys (or `C-f' 
>> etc. if you prefer). The region stays active and is extended
>> (or restricted).
>> 
>> This useful, standard Emacs feature was lost starting with 
>> Emacs 23.  Now, moving the cursor deactivates the region.
>> It should not, at least not in `delete-selection-mode'.
>
> Based on the definitions of "wishlist" and "normal" severity, I reclassified
> this easily reproducible regression as "normal".
> http://debbugs.gnu.org/Developer.html#severities

The behavior of Emacs 22 is an unintended and (AFAICT) undocumented
consequence of the delete-selection-mode implementation---basically a
bug, since it had nothing to do with deleting selections.  We might
eventually re-implement this as an optional behavior, but that would be
a new feature (it will certainly not be the default behavior, since it
is very non-standard for graphical applications).

So I do not regard this as a regression, or even a bug.  I'm setting the
severity to wishlist, because there are better things to work on.  Do
not play with the severity---that will not increase the likelihood of
this feature being implemented.