Subject: bug#11360: ERC completion case-sensitive

From: Antoine Levitt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 May 2012 09:49:50 +0200

05/05/12 05:11, Stefan Monnier
>> ERC nickname completion got case sensitive a couple of commits ago (two
>> days at most, I'd say), while it wasn't before.  Can someone fix it?
>
> It was probably me, but I fail to see how/where that happened.
> Can you give me a recipe to reproduce the problem starting from `emacs -Q'?
>
>
>         Stefan

Hi,

emacs -Q
M-x erc
Confirm irc.freenode.net
Confirm 6667
pick a random nick, no password
type /join #emacs
Pick someone in the users list with a nickname that begins with a caps
(for instance, Test), and type the first characters in his name in lower
case (for instance tes), then tab.

It used to complete to the capitalized nickname. What I think happened
is that this is now controlled by completion-ignore-case while it used
to be controlled by an erc-specific setting. I think a good way to
proceed is to introduce an erc-completion-ignore-case that defaults to
t, and ignore case in erc completion if either
erc-completion-ignore-case or completion-ignore-case is t. A specific
setting seems like a good idea because presumably some people will want
case-insensitive completion in erc but not elsewhere.