Subject: bug#11354: 24.1.50; long lines (214 chars!) in files.el

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 09:22:10 -0700

Emacs Dev makes a big deal about line length whenever anyone submits
code or a patch for inclusion.  Yet you keep using extremely long
lines yourselves.
 
files.el now has a max width of 214 chars!  Supposedly the limit is 80
chars or so.  At least reduce the line lengths to something reasonable.
 
This is not even a code problem (e.g. long function def with many
nesting levels).  It is simply a result of forgetting to use `\' to chop
long strings.  Please DTRT.
 
Here's the longest line, but there are plenty of others that are also
far too long:

("\\`/etc/\\(?:DIR_COLORS\\|ethers\\|.?fstab\\|.*hosts\\|lesskey\\|login\\.?de\\
(?:fs\\|vperm\\)\\|magic\\|mtab\\|pam\\.d/.*\\|permissions\\(?:\\.d/.+\\)?\\|pro
tocols\\|rpc\\|services\\)\\'" . conf-space-mode)
 
Just chop it:

("\\`/etc/\\(?:DIR_COLORS\\|ethers\\|.?fstab\\|.*hosts\\|lesskey\\|login\\.?de\
\\(?:fs\\|vperm\\)\\|magic\\|mtab\\|pam\\.d/.*\\|permissions\\(?:\\.d/.+\\)?\
\\|protocols\\|rpc\\|services\\)\\'" . conf-space-mode)

In GNU Emacs 24.1.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2012-04-23 on MARVIN
Bzr revision: 108006
[email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
Configured using:
 `configure --with-gcc (4.6) --no-opt --enable-checking --cflags
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/src
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.0.9/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libiconv-1.13.1-1-dev/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libxml2-2.7.8/include/libxml2'