Subject: bug#11342: 24.1.50; HOOK variable name in `add-hook' etc. confusing

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 00:45:26 +0200

Hi,

this is just a tiny detail, but confusing for newbies:

Turn on eldoc mode in any elisp buffer.  If you move point into an
`add-hook' or `remove-hook' form, you get e.g. the message

  remove-hook: (HOOK FUNCTION &optional LOCAL)

You could misinterpret that and think that the first argument must be
a value representing a hook.  But actually it must be a _symbol_
holding a hook.

So, I want to make the suggestion to replace the variable `hook' in
the definition of `remove-hook' by `hook-var', and to do the same for
`add-hook' and `run-hooks'.  Then, the eldoc message would be

  remove-hook: (HOOK-VAR FUNCTION &optional LOCAL)

which is more clear.

Thanks,

Michael.

In GNU Emacs 24.1.50.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.4.1)
 of 2012-04-23 on zelenka, modified by Debian
 (emacs-snapshot package, version 2:20120423-1)
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11104000
Configured using:
 `configure '--build' 'i486-linux-gnu' '--host' 'i486-linux-gnu'
 '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib'
 '--localstatedir=/var' '--infodir=/usr/share/info'
 '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes'
 '--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs-snapshot:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.1.50/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp'
 '--without-compress-info' '--with-crt-dir=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/'
 '--with-x=yes' '--with-x-toolkit=gtk3' '--with-imagemagick=yes'
 'build_alias=i486-linux-gnu' 'host_alias=i486-linux-gnu'
 'CFLAGS=-DDEBIAN -DSITELOAD_PURESIZE_EXTRA=5000 -g -O2''