Subject: bug#11341: Feature request: make whitespace visible and keep lines wrapped at word boundaries simultaneously

From: Matt McClure <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 09:37:43 -0400

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 5:57 AM
Subject: Re: whitespace-mode and visual-line-mode
To: [email-masked]

> Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 20:29:44 -0400
> From: Matt McClure <[email-masked]>
>
> When I turn on whitespace-mode in a buffer with word-wrap on, e.g., in
> visual-line-mode, lines become wrapped at the right edge of the window
> instead of word boundaries.
>
> How can I make whitespace visible and keep lines wrapped at word
boundaries
> simultaneously?

Customize whitespace-display-mappings so that the whitespace
characters are displayed as themselves, instead of as fancy non-ASCII
glyphs.  (You will still have the faces to show the whitespace.)

For a better solution, please file a feature-request bug report, this
would require changes in the display engine.

-- 
Matt McClure
http://www.matthewlmcclure.com
http://www.mapmyfitness.com/profile/matthewlmcclure