Subject: Re: bug#11338: 24.1.50; read-buffer-completion-ignore-case fails on one-character names

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2020 14:57:34 +0100

Stephen Berman <[email-masked]> writes:

> Did you follow the above recipe exactly in order?

No, it's impossible to create the "A" buffer in Emacs now, apparently.

> So I agree that the bug I reported seems to have been fixed, but there
> appears to be a new bug which wasn't present in 24.1.50 (which I don't
> have readily available to test now): that it's apparently not possible
> with read-buffer-completion-ignore-case non-nil to switch to a
> non-existing buffer whose name differs from an existing buffer only in
> case.  If you confirm, I'll report a new bug.

Yup, that's how Emacs behaves now.

> Or is this considered expected behavior (and if so, why)?

I've never used that variable before, and the behaviour was unexpected
to me, but I don't know what people who do use it expect.  It's pretty
odd, though -- the variable is about completion, but Emacs now seems to
interpret it as "Emacs should ignore all case differences in buffer
names (interactively)", which is something slightly different.

So I think opening a new bug report here would make sense, and we can
gather feedback on whether this makes sense or not.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no