Subject: 24.1.50; tabulated-list-mode requires a mouse to be useful

From: William Gardella <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 02:25:44 -0400

When using a mode derived from `tabulated-list-mode', such as M-x
`list-processes' or M-x `list-packages', it is not possible to change
the sorting of the list without using a mouse to click on the header
line.  This is not optimal when using one of these modes on a mouseless
interface, e.g. screen session in a console.  The sorting seems to be
done by a function called `tabulated-list-col-sort', which expects a
mouse event.  There should be a mouseless alternative.

In GNU Emacs 24.1.50.2 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2012-04-20 on ansible
Bzr revision: 107978 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11102902
Configured using:
 `configure '--with-x-toolkit=lucid''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: ERC

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  erc-hl-nicks-mode: t
  erc-autoaway-mode: t
  erc-list-mode: t
  erc-menu-mode: t
  erc-autojoin-mode: t
  erc-ring-mode: t
  erc-networks-mode: t
  erc-pcomplete-mode: t
  erc-track-mode: t
  erc-track-minor-mode: t
  erc-match-mode: t
  erc-button-mode: t
  erc-stamp-mode: t
  erc-netsplit-mode: t
  erc-irccontrols-mode: t
  erc-noncommands-mode: t
  erc-move-to-prompt-mode: t
  erc-readonly-mode: t
  display-battery-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  visual-line-mode: t

Recent input:
i s t <tab> c o <tab> <return> C-x b e m <return> , 
d f SPC t a b u l a t e d - l i s t - c o l - s o r 
t <return> y e a h . SPC SPC h m m . <M-backspace> 
<M-backspace> <M-backspace> b p a l m <tab> h m m . 
<backspace> , <backspace> . SPC SPC I SPC t h o i n 
k SPC I <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> i n k SPC I ' l l SPC s u b 
m i t SPC t h i s SPC a s SPC a SPC b u g , SPC b e 
c a u s e SPC i t SPC m a k e s SPC i t SPC i m p o 
s s i b l e SPC t o SPC u s e SPC t h e SPC <M-backspace> 
s u c h SPC <M-backspace> <M-backspace> <M-backspace> 
s <backspace> t o SPC s o r t SPC s u c h SPC l i s 
t s SPC f r o m SPC a SPC c o n <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> t <backspace> m o u s e l e s s SPC t t 
y , SPC w h i c h SPC I SPC s o m e t i m e s SPC w 
a n t SPC t o SPC d o <return> e . g . SPC s c r e 
e n SPC s e s s i o n SPC o n SPC c o n s o l e <return> 
C-x 1 <menu> r e p o r t - e m a c s - b u g <retu
rn>

Recent messages:
byte-code: Text is read-only: #<buffer #emacs>
Mark set
Checking new news...
nnimap read 0k from imap.gmail.com
nnimap read 19k from imap.gmail.com
nnimap read 31k from imap.gmail.com
nnimap read 48k from imap.gmail.com
Reading active file from archive via nnfolder...done
Reading active file via nndraft...done
Checking new news...done

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug mule-util gnus-fun conf-mode dired tramp-sh tramp-cache
tramp tramp-compat shell tramp-loaddefs ibuf-ext ibuffer erc-hl-nicks
erc-autoaway erc-menu erc-join erc-ring erc-networks erc-pcomplete
erc-track erc-match erc-button erc-fill erc-stamp erc-netsplit smiley
gnus-cite solarized-light-theme debug multi-isearch flyspell ispell
org-table imenu speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe mailalias sendmail
newcomment sort shr browse-url qp mail-extr gnus-async gnus-bcklg
gnus-ml disp-table nndraft nnmh utf-7 nnimap utf7 nnfolder parse-time
epa-file epa derived epg netrc network-stream auth-source eieio assoc
starttls tls gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual
gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 epg-config mm-view mml-smime smime
password-cache dig mailcap gnus-cache gnus-sum help-mode view server
eldoc erc-goodies erc erc-backend erc-compat thingatpt pp gnus-demon
nntp gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail mail-source gnus-start gnus-spec
gnus-win nnoo gnus-int gnus-range message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus gnus-ems nnheader gnus-util
mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit edmacro kmacro
solarized-dark-theme solarized-theme pretty-lambdada ido battery time
image-file tabify vc-bzr face-remap org-wl org-w3m org-vm org-rmail
org-mhe org-mew org-irc org-jsinfo org-infojs org-html org-exp ob-exp
org-exp-blocks find-func org-agenda org-info org-gnus org-docview
org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org byte-opt warnings bytecomp byte-compile
cconv macroexp advice help-fns advice-preload ob-emacs-lisp ob-ref
ob-lob ob-table org-footnote org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list org-faces
org-entities noutline outline easy-mmode format-spec cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs time-date ob-tangle org-src ob-comint comint ansi-color
ring ob-keys org-compat ob org-macs ob-eval auctex-autoloads tex-site
erc-hl-nicks-autoloads org-email-autoloads org-mime-autoloads
pretty-lambdada-autoloads solarized-theme-autoloads w3-autoloads info
easymenu zenburn-theme-autoloads package tabulated-list tooltip
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces
cus-face files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process dbusbind dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

-- 
Best,
William Gardella