Subject: bug#11318: [Patchset] A bugfix and an arguable bugfix for ediff-inferior-compare-regions

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 00:20:04 -0400

Stefan Monnier wrote:

> Arguably, debbugs (sh|c)ould pay attention to the References: (or
> In-reply-to:) header to automatically put the replies in the same bug as
> their "parent" message.

It does (I added this feature), but:

a) It needs time (I think) to process the first message and update the
bug index with the message-id, so if all messages arrive at the same
instant, it doesn't work.

b) I made the decision to require a subject starting with "Re:" for this
to take effect, because sometimes people reply to an old message and
change the subject with the intention of creating a new report.
(I'm pretty sure I've said this before.)
I'm feeling like I should admit defeat on this aspect, since it seems
people just love messing around with the subject header.

I also added something that makes [patch] equivalent to

Tags:patch

But it's never been an advertised convention for any Emacs mailing list
AFAIK, and it makes me grumpy. :)
I've always assumed it came from the linux kernel and is now the [in thing].

But let's not turn this into another BEGIN_SRC derail...