Subject: bug#11313: 24.1.50; Bind <C-M-backspace> to `backward-kill-sexp' in Lisp modes - like it used to be

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 17:49:50 -0700

Wow.  I've had this for so long in my setup that I forgot that this was
removed from vanilla Emacs in Emacs 22.  It was always present in older
Emacs releases, and it makes sense (IMO).  Please restore the binding of
<C-M-backspace> to `backward-kill-sexp' in the Lisp modes, so others can
benefit from it by default.
 
This seems to have been a mistake, rather than a deliberate change - or
else it was perversely deliberate.  `backward-kill-sexp' IS bound to ESC
<C-backspace>, but it is not bound to <C-M-backspace>.  What's that
about?
 
It is also bound to ESC <C-delete>, but not to <C-M-delete>.  Yes, some
systems like Windows (which I use) will not let you use <C-M-delete>.
But that is no reason not to bind it in Emacs for people who can use it.
 
(Actually, I would probably argue that ESC <C-delete> and <C-M-delete>
should both kill a sexp forward, not backward, i.e., `kill-sexp'.  The
<delete> key generally kills forward, in Emacs, as in other apps.  But I
don't really care about that.  And you'd probably argue that `C-M-k'
would then also be forward, by analogy with `C-k', or some such.)

In GNU Emacs 24.1.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2012-04-19 on MARVIN
Bzr revision: 107968 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
Configured using:
 `configure --with-gcc (4.6) --no-opt --enable-checking --cflags
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/src
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.0.9/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libiconv-1.13.1-1-dev/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libxml2-2.7.8/include/libxml2'