Subject: Re: bug#11301: 24.1.50; `define-minor-mode' should set `custom-mode-group' according to :group

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2021 08:54:50 +0200

"Drew Adams" <[email-masked]> writes:

> My suggestion is for `define-minor-mode' - and perhaps other
> mode-defining macros - to do likewise.  `define-minor-mode' apparently
> uses the :group keyword only for defining the user options it defines.

I've tried following the logic and history of the :group keyword in
easy-mmode.el, and I'm not sure how that's supposed to work any more.

`define-minor-mode' used to document taking a :group keyword, but that's
been removed in:

commit 6e7736ac5f42e2f1b17aacdfb2a60d8bb951d038
Author:     Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
AuthorDate: Wed Sep 9 13:29:59 2020 -0400

The only remaining mention is in this example:

For example, you could write
  (define-minor-mode foo-mode \"If enabled, foo on you!\"
    :lighter \" Foo\" :require \\='foo :global t :group \\='hassle :version \"27.5\"
    ...BODY CODE...)

`define-globalized-minor-mode' does mention it, though, and passes it on
to `define-minor-mode'...  which doesn't use it?

I've added Stefan to the CCs; I'm sure he knows what's going on.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no