Subject: bug#11299: 24.1.50; Make `customize-mode' work for minor modes too, or define`customize-minor-mode'

From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2016 23:23:34 -0400

tag 11299 + patch
quit

> `(elisp) Derived Modes' says, "Only the (still experimental and
> unadvertised) command `customize-mode' currently uses this."
>
> It has said this since at least Emacs 22.

Indeed that seems long enough to declare it non-experimental. So I
propose removing that phrase and just say "The command
`customize-mode' uses this", as in the current docstring of
`define-derived-modes'. Any objections?

> It is OK for the default to be the current major mode, but the use
> of a prefix arg (completion for a mode name) should at least allow
> for minor modes as well as major modes.

AFAICT it always allowed entering any mode with a prefix argument,
it's just a matter of updating prompt and docstring (cf
http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=23649).
From a23505433e2ccbca9b61e5564de581207fb3dd81 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2016 23:01:36 -0400
Subject: [PATCH 2/2] Don't describe `customize-mode' as experimental

* doc/lispref/modes.texi (Derived Modes): Remove note about
customize-mode being experimental; it has been around since Emacs
22 (Bug #11299).
---
 doc/lispref/modes.texi | 7 +++----
 1 file changed, 3 insertions(+), 4 deletions(-)

diff --git a/doc/lispref/modes.texi b/doc/lispref/modes.texi
index 4c96e63..32baa27 100644
--- a/doc/lispref/modes.texi
+++ b/doc/lispref/modes.texi
@@ -794,10 +794,9 @@ Derived Modes
 
 @item :group
 If this is specified, the value should be the customization group for
-this mode.  (Not all major modes have one.)  Only the (still
-experimental and unadvertised) command @code{customize-mode} currently
-uses this.  @code{define-derived-mode} does @emph{not} automatically
-define the specified customization group.
+this mode.  (Not all major modes have one.)  The command
+@code{customize-mode} uses this.  @code{define-derived-mode} does
+@emph{not} automatically define the specified customization group.
 @end table
 
 Here is a hypothetical example:
-- 
2.8.0