Subject: bug#11298: closed (Re: bug#11298: 24.0.95; (WISH) Re-look scratch buffers)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 05:07:04 +0000

Your bug report

#11298: 24.0.95; (WISH) Re-look scratch buffers

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
11298: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=11298
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#11298: 24.0.95; (WISH) Re-look scratch buffers
From: Jambunathan K <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 10:36:21 +0530
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

OP here.  Closed.

Subject: 24.0.95; (WISH) Re-look scratch buffers
From: Jambunathan K <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 21:25:16 +0530
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Feel free to close it or add to it.

An exact copy of my post in help-gnu-emacs.
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2012-04/msg00332.html

Increasingly, I am feeling the need for multiple scratch buffers.  By
default, my scratch buffer is in emacs-lisp mode.  Some times, I switch
that scratch buffer to Org-mode when I create lists, tables or just
copy-paste some plain text from interwebs purely for reasons of
wrapping/filling.

1. Allow multiple scratch buffers one for each mode the user is
   interested in.  The defcustom can have a solitary text-mode entry.  A
   user wanting no scratch buffer at all can null-ify the mode list.  A
   user like me can add emacs-lisp-mode and org-mode to it.

2. Just in case I need a one-off scratch buffer, I need a quick way to
   create it without having to think of (or type) out the full name Or
   confirm my intentions (This latter part is *very* annoying).  

      C-u C-x b can offer to create *scratch-%s* (or %s-scratch) in
      %s-mode.

3. I think it is not the scratch buffer that is idiosyncratic but the
   /name/.  Instead of using scratch one could call it say a notes
   buffer or a temp buffer.

That said I am happy with the way things are.  I know how to kill my
scratch buffer and I also know how to create multiple ones if needed.  I
also know how to type 'y' if prompted :-).