Subject: bug#11298: Scratch buffer (Summary of Xah's proposals, as I see it)

From: "Jan D." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 14:33:55 +0200

Jambunathan K skrev 2012-04-24 18:26:
> "Jan D."<[email-masked]>  writes:
>>
>> Giving a file name at 1. allows Emacs to set major mode.  If there is
>> just "Untitled N", the user would have to manually set major mode for
>> all new files.  This is not userfriendly.
>
> Does it matter what mode an empty or almost empty file is in?

Well, an empty file will be filled with something, be it Java, C, C++, 
Javascript, XML, SQL, Lisp or whatever.  I seldom create empty files for 
random notes.

>
> If a user wants to exploit facilities offered by a major mode he has to
> do a File->Save as.  May be Emacs can query for the modes in which a
> buffer has to be opened?

Even Eclipse and Netbeans have the ability to specify file type when 
starting a new file.  It sounds to me that what you really want is 
"Visit New Unknown File" or something like it.

	Jan D.