Subject: Re: bug#11298: Recipe to surface *code-conversion-work* buffer

From: Jambunathan K <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 18:24:01 +0530

martin rudalics <[email-masked]> writes:

>>> This is my little excursion in to killing *scratch* (to death?)
>>
>> Now I am wondering whether:
>> 1. *scratch* buffer re-generates itself
>
> It does because Emacs needs at least one buffer it can display.

As a programmer, I understand the purpose scratch buffer serves.  I also
understand that a purpose has been "thrust upon it" to make it seem
(passably) legitimate.

Make that one-true-buffer, the Emacs splash screen or banner.

Kill the banner, when (> buffer-count 0)
Generated banner, when (zerop buffer-count)

Instead of the banner buffer, one can replace it with an immutable,
empty, no-name buffer.  By immutable, I mean the user never does
anything with it apart from "seeing it" when conditions so necessitate.

> Is there anything bad about the behavior you observed?

No.

I wrote that mainly to confirm for myself what you observe above the
need for atleast one buffer.