Subject: bug#11298: 24.0.95; (WISH) Re-look scratch buffers

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 15:39:27 -0400

>>> 1. Allow multiple scratch buffers one for each mode the user is
>>> interested in.
>> We do not disallow that, so could you be more specific in what you mean
>> by that?
> Instead of creating one scratch buffer, make changes such a way that N
> scratch buffers are created. N = 0, 1, 2, 3 etc etc.

You mean start up Emacs with several scratch buffers?
Hmm, now that's an unexpected request: most people don't even know what
to do with the single *scratch* buffer.
I'd rather move towards eliminating *scratch* (after all, we have the
splash screen to replace it nowadays).

>>> C-u C-x b can offer to create *scratch-%s* (or %s-scratch) in
>>> %s-mode.
>> Interesting idea.  It might not even need a C-u: we could simply make
>> C-x b query the user for a major-mode when the buffer doesn't exist yet
>> (and we could try and take a hint from the buffer name to guess a good
>> default: e.g. looking for a major-mode name in the buffer name, or
>> matching the buffer name against auto-mode-alist).
> Whatever is chosen, this prompt "No buffer matching whatever, create one
> (y/n)?" should be removed.  This is annoying.

This is the fault of `ido'.  The normal C-x b just asks for an extra RET
to confirm you do want to create a new buffer (under the control of
confirm-nonexistent-file-or-buffer).

        Stefan