Subject: bug#11266: emacs 23.4 with --batch and (next-line)

From: Kevin Rodgers <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 21:05:04 -0600

On 4/17/12 11:11 AM, [email-masked] wrote:
> I recently upgraded to emacs 23.4 and found a rather obscure bug. When invoked
> with –batch emacs behaves differently with the command (next-line) compared to
> when it is invoked without batch. I had to switch to using (forward-line) in my
> code to work around this. This behavior can be easily seen by running.
>
> emacs –batch config.log --eval "(next-line 1)"
>
> And you’ll see and End of buffer message. While
>
> emacs -Q config.log --eval "(next-line 1)"
>
> Produces no such error.

`C-h f next-line' says:

	If you are thinking of using this in a Lisp program, consider
	using `forward-line' instead.  It is usually easier to use
	and more reliable (no dependence on goal column, etc.).

And `M-: (info "(emacs)Initial Options")' reminds:

      `--batch' implies `-q' (do not load an initialization file), but
      `site-start.el' is loaded nonetheless.  It also causes Emacs to
      exit after processing all the command options.  In addition, it
      disables auto-saving except in buffers for which it has been
      explicitly requested.

-- 
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA