Subject: Re: bug#11265: 24.0.94; gdb-mi very slow on Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 20:10:56 +0300

> Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 16:21:05 +0200
> From: Karl-Heinz Schneider <[email-masked]>
> 
> I use Emacs for C/C++ development on Windows XP. Since update to Emacs
> 24.0.94 I discovered that debugging with gdb-mi is very slow.

Which version did you upgrade from?  IOW, with which version are you
comparing the speed?

> Right after starting debugging performance is ok, but after a while
> using the debugger (adding breakpoints, removing breakpoints setting
> conditions, etc...) becomes very very slow.
> 
> After a while Emacs is consuming 100% of CPU power for a while just
> for typing a single character into the gdb-buffer (not sending it to 
> GDB).
> GDB commands like "next" or "step" take then several seconds until
> all buffers are refreshed.

When this slowdown happens, is the GDB interaction buffer displayed?
If so, does it help to delete the window where the interaction buffer
is shown, so that the buffer is not displayed in any window?

(I'm trying to establish whether the slowness is related to display or
to something else.)

Another thing to try is start GDB like this:

  M-x gud-gdb RET

and see if the resulting session is as fast as what you were used to
before 24.0.94.