Subject: Problems with article search Keys in Summary

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2012 20:55:41 +0200

Hi,

These are the article search key bindings in `gnus-summary-mode-map':

  "\M-s" gnus-summary-search-article-forward
  "\M-r" gnus-summary-search-article-backward
  "\M-S" gnus-summary-repeat-search-article-forward
  "\M-R" gnus-summary-repeat-search-article-backward

I want to make the proposal to move the first two to something
different, maybe C-S and C-R.

Background:

M-s is already a prefix key in the global-map in modern Emacsen.  The
binding of M-s in `gnus-summary-mode-map' shadows it.

But it becomes worse: If a minor-mode (like icicles-mode indeed does)
adds bindings to the M-s prefix in its minor-mode-map, the minor
mode binding shadows M-s in the gnus-summary-mode-map, so that
`gnus-summary-search-article-forward' is unreachable with keys!  You
have to call it with M-x.  Bad.

Regards,

Michael.

Gnus v5.13
GNU Emacs 24.1.50.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.2.3)
 of 2012-04-10 on zelenka, modified by Debian
201 news.cambrium.nl NNRP Service Ready (no posting).
500 What?