Subject: Re: bug#11248: Problems with article search Keys in Summary

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2012 21:35:10 +0200

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> > These are the article search key bindings in `gnus-summary-mode-map':
> >
> >   "\M-s" gnus-summary-search-article-forward
> >   "\M-r" gnus-summary-search-article-backward
> >   "\M-S" gnus-summary-repeat-search-article-forward
> >   "\M-R" gnus-summary-repeat-search-article-backward
> >
> > I want to make the proposal to move the first two to something
> > different, maybe C-S and C-R.
>
> `C-s' is a very useful command.

I don't understand how `C-s' is involved here.  I meant C-S, meaning
C-S-s.

> None of the commands under `M-s' seem particularly useful in the
> summary buffer.

Right.

> > But it becomes worse: If a minor-mode (like icicles-mode indeed does)
> > adds bindings to the M-s prefix in its minor-mode-map, the minor
> > mode binding shadows M-s in the gnus-summary-mode-map, so that
> > `gnus-summary-search-article-forward' is unreachable with keys!  You
> > have to call it with M-x.  Bad.
>
> Are there any icicles-mode commands that are useful in the summary
> buffer?

Icicles uses M-s M-s as a prefix for all its several search commands -
no doubt some of them could indeed be useful in the summary buffer,
e.g. M-s M-s l (`icicle-search-lines') or M-s M-s M-s
(`icicle-search-generic').

But that's not my point.  There are lots of people that use both Gnus
and Icicles.  And for all of them, currently
`gnus-summary-search-article-forward' is by default not reachable by any
key in the summary buffer, and thus e.g. not "discoverable" with C-h b
or C-h w.

Of course I'm open to other suggestions than mine, but IMHO this binding
conflict should be solved in one way or another.

Thanks,

Michael.