Subject: bug#11238: closed (Re: bug#11238: 24.0.95; eval-buffer and load hangup problem)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 18:11:02 +0000

Your bug report

#11238: 24.0.95; eval-buffer and load hangup problem 

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
11238: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=11238
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#11238: 24.0.95; eval-buffer and load hangup problem
From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
To: Atsuo Ohki <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 14:09:12 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version:24.1

> A file, which has illformed file local variable specification
> like "; -*-", makes eval-buffer and load functions hangup.

Very good catch.  And thanks for the patch.
Installed,

        Stefan

Subject: 24.0.95; eval-buffer and load hangup problem
From: Atsuo Ohki <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 17:09:12 +0900
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

A file, which has illformed file local variable specification
like "; -*-", makes eval-buffer and load functions hangup.

an exit condition of lisp_file_lexically_bound_p(src/lread.c) is
not enough.

--- src/lread.c-ORIG    Tue Mar  6 19:59:20 2012
+++ src/lread.c Fri Apr 13 16:54:03 2012
@@ -839,7 +839,7 @@
            }
 
          /* Stop scanning if no colon was found before end marker.  */
-         if (!in_file_vars)
+         if (!in_file_vars || ch == '\n' || ch == EOF) /* XXXX */
            break;
 
          while (i > 0 && (var[i - 1] == ' ' || var[i - 1] == '\t'))

In GNU Emacs 24.0.95.1 (i486-ibm-freebsd6.2, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2012-04-13 on sma
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.70200000
Configured using:
 `configure 'i486-ibm-freebsd6.2'
 '--srcdir=/usr/src/local/GNU/emacs/emacs-24.0.95' '--with-x'
 '--x-includes=/usr/local/X11R6/include'
 '--x-libraries=/usr/local/X11R6/lib' '--with-x-toolkit=lucid'
 '--without-xim' '--without-xpm' '--without-jpeg' '--without-tiff'
 '--without-gif' '--without-png' 'build_alias=i486-ibm-freebsd6.2'
 'host_alias=i486-ibm-freebsd6.2' 'target_alias=i486-ibm-freebsd6.2'
 'CC=gcc' 'LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: nil
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: nil
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x r e p o r t - e m a <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Loading /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start-24.x.el (source)...
Loading /usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.95/site-lisp/canna-leim.el (source)...done
Loading /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start-24.x.el (source)...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail regexp-opt rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils canna-leim canna japan-util
time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces
cus-face files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process dynamic-setting x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)