Subject: bug#11238: 24.0.95; eval-buffer and load hangup problem

From: Atsuo Ohki <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 17:09:12 +0900

A file, which has illformed file local variable specification
like "; -*-", makes eval-buffer and load functions hangup.

an exit condition of lisp_file_lexically_bound_p(src/lread.c) is
not enough.

--- src/lread.c-ORIG    Tue Mar  6 19:59:20 2012
+++ src/lread.c Fri Apr 13 16:54:03 2012
@@ -839,7 +839,7 @@
            }
 
          /* Stop scanning if no colon was found before end marker.  */
-         if (!in_file_vars)
+         if (!in_file_vars || ch == '\n' || ch == EOF) /* XXXX */
            break;
 
          while (i > 0 && (var[i - 1] == ' ' || var[i - 1] == '\t'))

In GNU Emacs 24.0.95.1 (i486-ibm-freebsd6.2, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2012-04-13 on sma
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.70200000
Configured using:
 `configure 'i486-ibm-freebsd6.2'
 '--srcdir=/usr/src/local/GNU/emacs/emacs-24.0.95' '--with-x'
 '--x-includes=/usr/local/X11R6/include'
 '--x-libraries=/usr/local/X11R6/lib' '--with-x-toolkit=lucid'
 '--without-xim' '--without-xpm' '--without-jpeg' '--without-tiff'
 '--without-gif' '--without-png' 'build_alias=i486-ibm-freebsd6.2'
 'host_alias=i486-ibm-freebsd6.2' 'target_alias=i486-ibm-freebsd6.2'
 'CC=gcc' 'LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: nil
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: nil
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x r e p o r t - e m a <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Loading /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start-24.x.el (source)...
Loading /usr/local/share/emacs/24.0.95/site-lisp/canna-leim.el (source)...done
Loading /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start-24.x.el (source)...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail regexp-opt rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils canna-leim canna japan-util
time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces
cus-face files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process dynamic-setting x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)