Subject: bug#11236: closed (Re: bug#11236: 24.1.50; Maximum buffer size exceeded)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 09:39:03 +0000

Your bug report

#11236: 24.1.50; Maximum buffer size exceeded

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
11236: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=11236
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#11236: 24.1.50; Maximum buffer size exceeded
From: Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 11:37:44 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

tags 11236 + notabug
quit

Peter Dyballa <[email-masked]> writes:

> The culprit compiler switch is: -malign-natural.

Thus not a bug.

Andreas.

-- 
Andreas Schwab, [email-masked]
GPG Key fingerprint = 58CA 54C7 6D53 942B 1756  01D3 44D5 214B 8276 4ED5
"And now for something completely different."

Subject: 24.1.50; Maximum buffer size exceeded
From: Peter Dyballa <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 16:04:29 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello!

When I try 'make bootstrap' on PPC Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard) for a  
GTK2 or Athena/libXaw3d X client or the NS variant the build process  
each time ends here:

	Loading loadup.el (source)...
	Using load-path (.../emacs-24.1.50/lisp .../emacs-24.1.50/lisp/emacs- 
lisp .../emacs-24.1.50/lisp/language .../emacs-24.1.50/lisp/ 
international .../emacs-24.1.50/lisp/textmodes)
	Loading emacs-lisp/byte-run (source)...
	Loading emacs-lisp/backquote (source)...
	Loading subr (source)...
	Loading version.el (source)...
	Loading widget (source)...
	Loading custom (source)...
	Loading emacs-lisp/map-ynp (source)...
	Loading international/mule (source)...
	Loading international/mule-conf (source)...
	Loading env (source)...
	Loading format (source)...
	Loading bindings (source)...
	Loading cus-start (source)...
	Loading window (source)...
	Loading .../emacs-24.1.50/lisp/files.el (source)...
	Maximum buffer size exceeded
	make[2]: *** [bootstrap-emacs] Error 1
	make[1]: *** [src] Error 2
	make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2

I am now at

	revno: 107887
	branch nick: trunk
	timestamp: Fri 2012-04-13 06:17:25 -0400

I tried to configure with and without --with-wide-int, GCC used is  
Apple's version 4.2. The configuration is performed like for example  
this (this time to use Apple's LLVM GCC 4.2):

	time nice +11 env LANG=C PATH=/Developer/usr/bin:/sw/bin:$PATH ./ 
configure --without-sound --without-dbus --without-pop --without-gconf  
--without-gpm --without-gsettings --without-selinux --without-gif -- 
without-jpeg --without-png --without-rsvg --without-tiff --without-xpm  
--with-x --x-libraries=/usr/X11/lib --x-includes=/usr/X11/include -- 
with-x-toolkit=athena --enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application\  
Support/Emacs/calendar24:/Library/Application\ Support/Emacs CFLAGS="- 
g -H -pipe -fPIC -fno-common -fast -pthread -mfused-madd -mmultiple - 
ftree-vectorize -mpowerpc-gfxopt -maltivec -faltivec -mabi=altivec - 
mcpu=7450 -mtune=7450" LDFLAGS="-Wl,-dead_strip_dylibs -Wl,- 
bind_at_load -Wl,-t" PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/sw/lib/xft2/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/ 
share/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/X11/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/X11/ 
share/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig

--
Greetings

   Pete

Email is a wonderful thing for people whose role in life is to be on  
top of things. But not for me; my role is to be on the bottom of  
things. What I do takes long hours of studying and uninterruptible  
concentration.
				– Donald Knuth