Subject: Re: bug#11236: 24.1.50; Maximum buffer size exceeded

From: Peter Dyballa <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2012 14:02:44 +0200

Am 13.04.2012 um 17:31 schrieb Eli Zaretskii:

> Can you run under a debugger, but a breakpoint inside buffer_overflow,
> and when it breaks, look around in make_gap_larger and see why exactly
> this overflow happens?  E.g., what are the values of current_size and
> of nbytes_added?  Please compile without optimizations, to make
> debugging reliable.

The NS variant produces the failure when compiling with -fast. With - 
Os and less the build is OK. When I configure --with-wide-int the  
failure becomes:

	Loading window...
	Loading files...
	Loading cus-face...
	Loading faces...
	Loading button...
	Loading startup...
	Loading .../emacs-24.1.50/lisp/loaddefs.el (source)...

If I spend some time I can manually make Apple's GCC 4.2.1 to compile  
as with -fast, because all the switches are documented (-O3 plus many  
extras plus optimisation for the 64-bit G5 processor/IBM PowerPC 970  
variants compensated by -mcpu=7450 -mtune=G4) and find out which  
switch causes the defect...

--
Greetings

   Pete

We need a president who's fluent in at least one language.
				– Buck Henry