Subject: bug#11236: 24.1.50; Maximum buffer size exceeded

From: Peter Dyballa <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 16:04:29 +0200

Hello!

When I try 'make bootstrap' on PPC Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard) for a  
GTK2 or Athena/libXaw3d X client or the NS variant the build process  
each time ends here:

	Loading loadup.el (source)...
	Using load-path (.../emacs-24.1.50/lisp .../emacs-24.1.50/lisp/emacs- 
lisp .../emacs-24.1.50/lisp/language .../emacs-24.1.50/lisp/ 
international .../emacs-24.1.50/lisp/textmodes)
	Loading emacs-lisp/byte-run (source)...
	Loading emacs-lisp/backquote (source)...
	Loading subr (source)...
	Loading version.el (source)...
	Loading widget (source)...
	Loading custom (source)...
	Loading emacs-lisp/map-ynp (source)...
	Loading international/mule (source)...
	Loading international/mule-conf (source)...
	Loading env (source)...
	Loading format (source)...
	Loading bindings (source)...
	Loading cus-start (source)...
	Loading window (source)...
	Loading .../emacs-24.1.50/lisp/files.el (source)...
	Maximum buffer size exceeded
	make[2]: *** [bootstrap-emacs] Error 1
	make[1]: *** [src] Error 2
	make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2

I am now at

	revno: 107887
	branch nick: trunk
	timestamp: Fri 2012-04-13 06:17:25 -0400

I tried to configure with and without --with-wide-int, GCC used is  
Apple's version 4.2. The configuration is performed like for example  
this (this time to use Apple's LLVM GCC 4.2):

	time nice +11 env LANG=C PATH=/Developer/usr/bin:/sw/bin:$PATH ./ 
configure --without-sound --without-dbus --without-pop --without-gconf  
--without-gpm --without-gsettings --without-selinux --without-gif -- 
without-jpeg --without-png --without-rsvg --without-tiff --without-xpm  
--with-x --x-libraries=/usr/X11/lib --x-includes=/usr/X11/include -- 
with-x-toolkit=athena --enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application\  
Support/Emacs/calendar24:/Library/Application\ Support/Emacs CFLAGS="- 
g -H -pipe -fPIC -fno-common -fast -pthread -mfused-madd -mmultiple - 
ftree-vectorize -mpowerpc-gfxopt -maltivec -faltivec -mabi=altivec - 
mcpu=7450 -mtune=7450" LDFLAGS="-Wl,-dead_strip_dylibs -Wl,- 
bind_at_load -Wl,-t" PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/sw/lib/xft2/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/ 
share/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/X11/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/X11/ 
share/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig

--
Greetings

   Pete

Email is a wonderful thing for people whose role in life is to be on  
top of things. But not for me; my role is to be on the bottom of  
things. What I do takes long hours of studying and uninterruptible  
concentration.
				– Donald Knuth