Subject: bug#11234: 23.4; Compose key does not work well in current Debian testing (wheezy).

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 15:31:41 -0400

> After running emacs under Debian mentioned above, fully updated,
> general compose key shortcuts do not work. The only compose key
> shorcuts that work in emacs under the described conditions are
> those, that are defined in ~/.XCompose file (I defined three shortcuts
> there, ☺, →, ← to test what I say, and they work. The shortcuts defined
> in /usr/share/X11/locale/... do not work. Compose key works OK in other
> X programs, such as Libre Office, Iceweasel, terminator. Eg. xterm seems
> to have similar problem as emacs, but that might be due to its inept
> font. I posted it on stackoverflow, and was told to send a bug report.

Do the usual compose sequences work if you remove the ~/.XCompose file?
Can you show us the content of that ~/.XCompose file?
Do your hand-made .XCompose sequences work in LibreOffice/Iceweasel/...?

IOW my crystal ball tells me that your .XCompose file is lacking
a `include "%L"' so it overrides the default rather than extends it.
And you don't notice it in Iceweasel because you haven't set the envvar
GTK_IM_MODULE=xim, so those apps don't actually use your .XCompose
file anyway.

        Stefan