Subject: Re: bug#11233: 24.1.50; Wishlist: dired mouse-2 other window behavior

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2012 11:36:23 +0200

> I suggest to use the same modifiers as used in web browsers:
 > mouse-1 opens in the same window, C-mouse-1 opens in other window
 > (not selected), C-S-mouse-1 opens in other window (and selected),

Does this mean the buffer would appear in two windows?  On Firefox
C-S-mouse-1 behaves just as C-mouse-1 here.

 > S-mouse-1 opens in other frame.

Would we decode this in `find-file' or `dired-find-file'?  IIUC we'd
have to check

(a) whether the mouse was used at all and, if so, which modifier was
     applied,

(b) whether the mouse was over a text with a this-window / other-window
     / other-frame interpretation, and

(c) what any user customizations wrt prefix key and modifiers are in the
     present context.

`push-button' and `button-activate' do something related.  Could we
interact with these functions?

martin