Subject: bug#11214: 24.0.92; Errors from config.status

From: Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2012 09:59:37 +0200

Richard Stallman <[email-masked]> writes:

> I did bzr update just now, then, in the source directory,
> ./configure CFLAGS="-g -O0"
> It produced these errors:
>
> config.status: executing gdbinit commands
> ./config.status: line 2085: src/.gdbinit : Permission denied
> ./config.status: line 2086: syntax error near unexpected token `fi'
> ./config.status: line 2086: `fi'

That appears to be a bug in autoconf, triggered by the use of make in
config.status.  That may trigger a regeneration of configure which
eventually rewrites config.status in place, while it is still executed
by the shell.  The configure script should probably generate
config.status atomically, or at least remove it prior to writing to it.

Andreas.

-- 
Andreas Schwab, [email-masked]
GPG Key fingerprint = 58CA 54C7 6D53 942B 1756  01D3 44D5 214B 8276 4ED5
"And now for something completely different."