Subject: bug#11212: 24.0.95; mailcap-mime-extensions: Add opendocument formats

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 08:57:51 +0300

> From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 18:47:59 -0400
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> Jambunathan K wrote:
> 
> > Please include OpenDocument extensions to `mailcap-mime-extensions'.
> 
> On non MS systems, there is no need, because there are system files
> such as /etc/mime.types that contain this information

This file seems to come from mime-support, which is a Debian package.
Do other Posix systems, whether other GNU/Linux or Unix, also have
this file?

OTOH, if we want to rely on this file, then why do we have a non-empty
mailcap-mime-extensions at all?  And why adding a few more entries to
that list should be rejected?

In any case, one can download (what seems to be) the latest version of
the mime-support package from here:

  http://packages.debian.org/source/wheezy/mime-support

Then set the MIMETYPES environment variable to point to its absolute
file names, and then it can be used by mailcap-parse-mimetypes on any
system.  Perhaps we should recommend users to do that if their systems
don't have the file already.