Subject: bug#11200: closed (Re: bug#11200: 24.0.95; ispell.el sets incorrect encoding for the default dictionary)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 17:06:02 +0000

Your bug report

#11200: 24.0.95; ispell.el sets incorrect encoding for the default dictionary

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
11200: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=11200
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#11200: 24.0.95; ispell.el sets incorrect encoding for the default dictionary
From: Agustin Martin <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 19:05:01 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Sun, Apr 08, 2012 at 12:31:55PM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> In ispell.el we see:
> 
>   (defvar ispell-dictionary-base-alist
>     '((nil
>        ;; The default dictionary.  It may be English.aff, or any other
>        ;; dictionary depending on locale and such things.  We should probably
>        ;; ask ispell what dictionary it's using, but until we do that, let's
>        ;; just use an approximate regexp.
>        "[[:alpha:]]" "[^[:alpha:]]" "[']" nil ("-B") nil iso-8859-1)
> 
> The iso-8859-1 part is not the optimal choice for aspell and hunspell.
> These spell-checkers support UTF-8 encoding, so using utf-8 here will
> DTRT in a much larger number of locales.  With iso-8859-1, any
> non-Latin locale will require the user to customize
> ispell-local-dictionary-alist, when there's no real reason for forcing
> them do that.
> 
> Please include some simple logic to use utf-8 with the default
> dictionary, when the speller is aspell or hunspell.

Committed change to use utf-8 for recent aspell or hunspell together with
the change to use [:alpha:] if available. Closing bug report.

By the way, since global dicts will always use [:alpha:] in Emacs, I will
revert above `ispell-dictionary-base-alist' definition to the XEmacs
friendly original version. Should have no effect at all for Emacs.

Thanks for your hunspell tests and general feedback.

-- 
Agustin

Subject: 24.0.95; ispell.el sets incorrect encoding for the default dictionary
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2012 12:31:55 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

In ispell.el we see:

  (defvar ispell-dictionary-base-alist
    '((nil
       ;; The default dictionary.  It may be English.aff, or any other
       ;; dictionary depending on locale and such things.  We should probably
       ;; ask ispell what dictionary it's using, but until we do that, let's
       ;; just use an approximate regexp.
       "[[:alpha:]]" "[^[:alpha:]]" "[']" nil ("-B") nil iso-8859-1)

The iso-8859-1 part is not the optimal choice for aspell and hunspell.
These spell-checkers support UTF-8 encoding, so using utf-8 here will
DTRT in a much larger number of locales.  With iso-8859-1, any
non-Latin locale will require the user to customize
ispell-local-dictionary-alist, when there's no real reason for forcing
them do that.

Please include some simple logic to use utf-8 with the default
dictionary, when the speller is aspell or hunspell.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.95.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2012-04-02 on HOME-C4E4A596F7
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
Configured using:
 `configure --with-gcc (3.4)'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: ENU
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: cp1255
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Mail

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  flyspell-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  temp-buffer-resize-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Recent input:
M-z M-z M-z M-z M-z M-z M-z M-z M-z C-z C-z C-z C-z 
C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z 
C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z 
C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z 
C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z 
C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z M-z M-z M-z M-z M-z M-z M-z 
M-z M-z M-z M-z M-z M-z M-z M-z M-z M-z M-z M-z M-z 
M-z M-z M-z M-z M-z M-z M-z M-z M-z M-z M-z M-z M-z 
M-z M-z M-z M-z M-z M-z M-z M-z M-z M-z M-z M-z M-z 
M-z M-z M-z M-z M-z C-x k <return> C-x k <return> C-x 
k <return> C-x k <return> <switch-frame> M-z M-z M-z 
M-z M-z <C-home> <next> <next> <next> <next> <next> 
<next> <next> <next> <next> <next> <next> <next> <next> 
<next> <next> <next> <next> <next> M-z M-z M-z M-z 
M-z M-z M-z M-z M-z M-z M-z M-z M-z M-z C-x C-x M-z 
M-z M-z M-z M-z <up> <up> <up> <left> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<switch-frame> C-u 1 C-h i i d o l i s t <return> <switch-frame> 
<help-echo> <switch-frame> M-z M-z M-z M-z M-z M-z 
M-z M-z M-z M-z M-z M-z M-z M-z M-z M-z M-z M-z M-z 
M-z M-z M-z M-z M-z M-z M-z M-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z 
C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z 
C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z 
C-z C-z C-z C-z <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <switch-frame> <help-echo> <switch-frame> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <switch-frame> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<help-echo> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <help-echo> 
M-x r e p o r t - e m <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Parsing archive file...done.
Mark saved where search started [4 times]
Mark set
Mark saved where search started [4 times]
Parsing archive file...done.
Mark saved where search started [7 times]
Parsing archive file...done.
Mark saved where search started
Mark set
Found `dolist' in Index.  (Only match)

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug pp descr-text smerge-mode timezone rmailsort
mule-util ebuff-menu electric vc-dispatcher etags dabbrev help-mode
view multi-isearch network-stream starttls tls smtpmail auth-source
eieio assoc gnus-util password-cache mailalias sendmail rmailout
ld-script dired-x dired tcl nxml-uchnm rng-xsd xsd-regexp rng-cmpct
rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse nxml-parse rng-match
rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns nxml-mode nxml-outln nxml-rap
nxml-util nxml-glyph nxml-enc xmltok sgml-mode face-remap org-wl
org-w3m org-vm org-rmail org-mhe org-mew org-irc org-jsinfo org-infojs
org-html org-exp ob-exp org-exp-blocks find-func org-agenda org-info
org-gnus org-docview org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org byte-opt warnings
bytecomp byte-compile cconv macroexp advice help-fns advice-preload
ob-emacs-lisp ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table org-footnote org-src
ob-comint ob-keys ob ob-eval org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list
org-faces org-compat org-entities org-macs cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs noutline outline arc-mode archive-mode diff-mode
conf-mode newcomment sh-script executable generic jka-compr make-mode
autorevert gud easy-mmode comint ansi-color ring parse-time vc-cvs
cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align
cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs info texinfo regexp-opt vc-bzr flyspell
ispell add-log qp rmailsum rmailmm message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
mail-parse rfc2231 rmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr
mail-utils desktop server filecache mairix cus-edit easymenu cus-start
cus-load wid-edit saveplace midnight generic-x paren battery time
time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32
disp-table ls-lisp w32-win w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe
lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face files text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process multi-tty
emacs)