Subject: Re: bug#11194: 24.0.95; sudo rm doesn't work with absolute directory paths on the file system

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 11:32:17 +0200

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

> The problem is the following:
> - eshell/sudo has the same name as /usr/bin/sudo but does something
>   slightly different.
> - eshell/rm has the same name as /bin/rm but does something
>   slightly different.

That's the idea of eshell's built-ins.

> - the combination of the two leads to "sudo rm" doing something less
>   slightly different.

Again, it does what you could expect from *eshell*. If you do not want
this behaviour, you could use *shell*. Or you could mask the built-in by
prepending a "*" to the command, as described.

> I don't use Eshell myself, so I'm not sure what the best way to
> fix this.  Maybe it's eshell/rm that needs fixing, maybe Eshell should
> change to use different name for its `sudo', or maybe the solution
> should be yet different.

The question is whether a command being an argument of "sudo" shall
still behave like other eshell commands. This is not only true for "rm"
(being `eshell/rm'), but for all commands which could be a valid Lisp
command.

>         Stefan

Best regards, Michael.