Subject: bug#11194: 24.0.95; sudo rm doesn't work with absolute directory paths on the file system

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 21:52:36 -0400

>> Spirit or not, the resulting behavior for `sudo' makes no sense and
>> should be fixed,
> Last attempt to convince you: The eshell manual gives as example
>           ~ $ cd /ssh:otherhost:/etc
>           /ssh:user@otherhost:/etc $ sudo find-file shadow
> If you disable built-in commands inside sudo, you would disable all
> other Lisp functions as well.  Do we want this?

The problem is the following:
- eshell/sudo has the same name as /usr/bin/sudo but does something
  slightly different.
- eshell/rm has the same name as /bin/rm but does something
  slightly different.
- the combination of the two leads to "sudo rm" doing something less
  slightly different.
I don't use Eshell myself, so I'm not sure what the best way to
fix this.  Maybe it's eshell/rm that needs fixing, maybe Eshell should
change to use different name for its `sudo', or maybe the solution
should be yet different.

        Stefan