Subject: 24.0.95; sudo rm doesn't work with absolute directory paths on the file system

From: Cray Elliott <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2012 03:45:38 -0700

For example, if you went to eshell and typed 'sudo rm -rf /opt/folder'
it would complain about permissions being needed and wouldn't query
for password. Bug doesn't exist with relative paths. Bug does exist with wildcards.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.95.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.10)
 of 2012-04-07 on rbdash
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11104000
Configured using:
 `configure '--prefix=/usr' '--sysconfdir=/etc' '--localstatedir=/var'
 '--libexecdir=/usr/lib' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--without-sound'
 '--with-xft' '--with-x-toolkit=gtk' 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64
 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4
 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2'
 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,--hash-style=gnu''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: 
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: nil
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  evil-mode: t
  evil-local-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  global-auto-complete-mode: t
  auto-complete-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
C-x C-b C-x 1 M-x r e p o <tab> r t - e m <tab> b <backspace> 
<return>

Recent messages:
("emacs")
Loading "/home/cray/.emacs.d/byte-cache/home!cray!.emacs.d!el-get!color-theme!themes!color-theme-example.elc" as "/home/cray/.emacs.d/el-get/color-theme/themes/color-theme-example.el"...done
Loading "/home/cray/.emacs.d/byte-cache/home!cray!.emacs.d!el-get!color-theme!themes!color-theme-library.elc" as "/home/cray/.emacs.d/el-get/color-theme/themes/color-theme-library.el"...done
ad-handle-definition: `evil-mode' got redefined [38 times]
Starting Emacs daemon.
When done with this frame, type C-x 5 0
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
/home/cray/.emacs.d/el-get/dired-plus/dired+ hides /home/cray/.emacs.d/el-get/dired+/dired+
/home/cray/.emacs.d/el-get/emacschrome/servers/el-get hides /home/cray/.emacs.d/el-get/el-get/el-get
/home/cray/.emacs.d/el-get/cmake-mode/cmake-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/cmake-mode
/home/cray/.emacs.d/el-get/remember/remember hides /usr/share/emacs/24.0.95/lisp/textmodes/remember
/home/cray/.emacs.d/el-get/magit/.dir-locals hides /usr/share/emacs/24.0.95/lisp/gnus/.dir-locals

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils server ampc-autoloads
re-builder .loaddefs arduino-mode cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus
cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs vkill sudo-save
smarttabs remember-autoloads qmake-mode pkgbuild-mode sh-script
executable pastebin muse-journal muse-book cus-edit cus-start cus-load
muse-project muse-latex muse-html muse-xml-common muse-protocols
muse-regexps derived muse muse-nested-tags muse-publish muse-autoloads
list-processes+ linum-off linum linum-ex icomplete+ icomplete go-mode
flyguess flyspell ispell evil-core undo-tree rect evil-vars dired-view
dired-sync dired-single dired-details dired-x ediff-merg ediff-diff
ediff-wind ediff-mult ediff-help ediff-init ediff-util dired-aux cssh
tramp tramp-compat auth-source eieio assoc gnus-util time-date mm-util
mail-prsvr password-cache shell pcomplete format-spec tramp-loaddefs
term disp-table ehelp electric ibuffer command-frequency
color-theme-twilight color-theme wid-edit cmake-mode thingatpt
byte-code-cache buffer-move windmove browse-kill-ring
auto-complete-config auto-complete edmacro kmacro preview-latex tex-site
auto-loads info anything byte-opt warnings advice advice-preload
any-ini-mode imenu ahg grep compile comint ansi-color ewoc log-edit ring
pcvs-util add-log diff-mode easy-mmode popup el-get help-mode easymenu
view autoload help-fns bytecomp byte-compile cconv macroexp cl package
tabulated-list dired regexp-opt tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe
lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)