Subject: 24.0.92; ERC: Better names for the different log file name formats

From: Deniz Dogan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2012 19:56:30 +0200

I think the names of the different log file name formats could be
improved a lot.  There's basically nothing that tells the ordinary user
what the different log formats imply.  Attached is a patch which changes
the name to be more verbose about what the formats mean.

Note that I have used #channel instead of "target" or "buffer" in this
patch, because the ordinary user will most likely understand that
#channel could very well be an IRC user as well.
=== modified file 'lisp/erc/erc-log.el'
--- lisp/erc/erc-log.el	2012-01-19 07:21:25 +0000
+++ lisp/erc/erc-log.el	2012-04-05 17:53:30 +0000
@@ -113,9 +113,9 @@
 custom function which returns the directory part and set
 `erc-log-channels-directory' to its name."
   :group 'erc-log
-  :type '(choice (const :tag "Long style" erc-generate-log-file-name-long)
-		 (const :tag "Long, but with network name rather than server"
+  :type '(choice (const :tag "#channel!nick@server:port.txt" erc-generate-log-file-name-long)
+		 (const :tag "[email-masked]"
 			erc-generate-log-file-name-network)
-		 (const :tag "Short" erc-generate-log-file-name-short)
-		 (const :tag "With date" erc-generate-log-file-name-with-date)
+		 (const :tag "#channel.txt" erc-generate-log-file-name-short)
+		 (const :tag "[email-masked]" erc-generate-log-file-name-with-date)
 		 (function :tag "Other function")))

 (defcustom erc-truncate-buffer-on-save nil