Subject: bug#11156: 24.0.95; require-final-newline and read-only files

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 20:56:57 +0200

>> cd /tmp
 >> echo -n rms > rms
 >> chmod u=r rms
 >> emacs -q
 >> eval: (setq require-final-newline 'visit)
 >> C-x C-f /tmp/rms RET
 >>
 >> There is a new buffer but no window displays it.  The
 >> *Messages*-buffer contains `find-file-noselect-1: Buffer is read-only:
 >> #<buffer rms>'
 >
 > It is annoying that one needs to manually switch to the buffer after
 > finding a read-only file.  But, more important, find-file-hook is not
 > run.  This breaks lots of packages and makes this issue a severe one for
 > me.

`after-find-file' shouldn't try adding a newline if `buffer-read-only'
is non-nil.  And the values 'visit and 'visit-save should be documented
in the Elisp manual.

martin