Subject: bug#11143: 24.0.94; buggy buggy gnutls freezes emacs

From: Ted Zlatanov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2012 20:38:35 -0400

On Sun, 01 Apr 2012 12:30:26 +0800 Leo <[email-masked]> wrote: 

L> This issue isn't easy to reproduce because it depends on the network.
L> gnutls-boot can sometimes go into infinite 100% CPU consummation (looks
L> like a infinite loop) as shown in this screenshot:

L> C-g cannot stop it. I have left it running for > 15 minutes and no sign
L> of stopping too.

L> I know it is gnutls-boot because, I tried:

L>  - kill -USR2 <pid>
L>  - killall emacs

L> and a debug buffer pops up to say that. Unfortunately I was just about
L> to get a copy of the backtrace and the network was back to normal. But I
L> think gnutls is doing some funny business. gnutls should kill itself
L> after some time instead of freeze emacs forever.

Please see the patch proposed for bug 10904.  You may have a similar
problem locking up in the handshake stage.  Let me know if it helps.

Thanks!
Ted