Subject: Re: bug#11139: 24.0.94; inappropriate `face' property for `apropos*' button types

From: Wolfgang Jenkner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2012 02:50:51 +0200

On Sat, Mar 31 2012, Drew Adams wrote:

> A face should almost never be hard-coded, fixing Emacs's appearance in
> concrete.  Please think of the users and of Emacs's mission to be
> customizable by them.  It is hard to believe that this kind of thing is
> still going on.  This is 2012, not 1980.

May I ask a rhetorical question: What's wrong with

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(add-hook 'apropos-mode-hook
	  (lambda ()
	    (face-remap-set-base 'italic '(:reverse-video t))))
#+end_src

It's rhetorical because you already made it clear that a new load of
defface's or defcustom's would be the proper way to handle the issue.

My question is also rhetorical and hypocritical because I really just
wanted to seize on the opportunity to say that some people don't
actually enjoy wading through an ever growing plethora of options and
faces.

On the other hand, they revel in general mechanisms like face-remap-*.

YMMV ;-)

Wolfgang