Subject: bug#11135: closed (Re: bug#11135: gravatar slowdown)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 19:13:02 +0000

Your bug report

#11135: gravatar slowdown

which was filed against the gnus package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
11135: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=11135
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#11135: gravatar slowdown
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
To: Dave Abrahams <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 21:11:03 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Dave Abrahams <[email-masked]> writes:

> It could indeed.  I'm not seeing slowdowns anymore, but I remember
> having domain name resolution issues around the time of this issue.

Right.  Hopefully Emacs 24.3 will have support for async name
resolution, too, so that Gnus will work more smoothly in the presence of
DNS problems.  The synchronous DNS stuff in url.el is the cause of
almost all hangs that I'm seeing now during casual reading.

Anyway, I'm closing this report.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
  bloggy blog http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/

Subject: gravatar slowdown
From: Dave Abrahams <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] (The Gnus Bugfixing Girls + Boys)
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 14:15:07 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

With gnus-treat-from-gravatar and gnus-treat-mail-gravatar set, I am
experiencing intolerable slowdowns... and have been for about a week.
For example, here's (the top of) an ELP profile from viewing a single
message.  I assume something relevant must have changed in the code
recently?

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
gnus-summary-next-unread-article                                              1           30.152667     30.152667
gnus-summary-next-article                                                     1           30.152649     30.152649
gnus-summary-display-article                                                  1           30.152562     30.152562
gnus-article-prepare                                                          1           30.148796     30.148796
gnus-article-prepare-display                                                  1           30.098376     30.098376
gnus-display-mime                                                             1           30.098365     30.098365
gnus-treat-article                                                            2           30.062092     15.031046
gnus-gravatar-transform-address                                               3           30.055445     10.018481666
gravatar-retrieve                                                             8           30.054497     3.756812125
gnus-treat-mail-gravatar                                                      1           30.052792     30.052792
gnus-run-hooks                                                                8           0.0343350000  0.0042918750
gnus-harvest-addresses                                                        1           0.034008      0.034008
gnus-harvest-sqlite-invoke                                                    1           0.03134       0.03134
gnus-mime-display-part                                                        1           0.029573      0.029573
gnus-mime-display-alternative                                                 1           0.029567      0.029567
gnus-request-article-this-buffer                                              1           0.01433       0.01433
gravatar-cache-expired                                                        8           0.013118      0.00163975
gnus-request-article                                                          1           0.004253      0.004253
gnus-cache-request-article                                                    1           0.003954      0.003954
gnus-treat-from-gravatar                                                      1           0.002679      0.002679
gnus-summary-recenter                                                         1           0.002309      0.002309
gnus-article-treat-unfold-headers                                             1           0.002259      0.002259
gnus-backlog-enter-article                                                    1           0.00186       0.00186
gnus-agent-request-article                                                    1           0.001654      0.001654
gnus-article-treat-date                                                       1           0.001527      0.001527
gnus-possibly-generate-tree                                                   1           0.001097      0.001097
gnus-agent-article-name                                                       1           0.001081      0.001081
gnus-agent-group-pathname                                                     1           0.001044      0.001044
gnus-backlog-remove-oldest-article                                            1           0.000987      0.000987
gnus-article-setup-buffer                                                     1           0.000781      0.000781
gnus-article-maybe-hide-headers                                               1           0.000726      0.000726
gnus-article-hide-headers                                                     1           0.000719      0.000719
gnus-generate-horizontal-tree                                                 5           0.000712      0.0001424
gnus-set-mode-line                                                            4           0.0006840000  0.0001710000
gnus-generate-tree                                                            1           0.000644      0.000644
gnus-article-add-buttons-to-head                                              1           0.000633      0.000633
gnus-remove-thread                                                            1           0.000433      0.000433
gnus-gravatar-insert                                                          5           0.000428      8.56e-05
gnus-article-highlight-signature                                              2           0.000397      0.0001985
gnus-article-narrow-to-signature                                              2           0.000391      0.0001955
gnus-article-search-signature                                                 2           0.0003850000  0.0001925000
gnus-root-id                                                                  1           0.000361      0.000361
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Ma Gnus v0.4
GNU Emacs 24.0.94.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin11.3.0, Carbon Version 1.6.0 AppKit 1138.32)
 of 2012-03-14 on pluto.luannocracy.com
200 Leafnode NNTP Daemon, version 1.11.8 running at localhost (my fqdn: pluto.boostpro.com)
500 Unknown command

-- 
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing
http://www.boostpro.com