Subject: 24.0.94; Mac's Text to Speech stopped working in emacs buffers when I moved from Snow Leopard to Lion

From: Charles Magid <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 14:09:45 -0400

From: Charles Magid <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: 24.0.94; Mac's Text to Speech stopped working in emacs buffers when I moved from Snow Leopard to Lion
--text follows this line--
This bug report will be sent to the Bug-GNU-Emacs mailing list
and the GNU bug tracker at debbugs.gnu.org.  Please check that
the From: line contains a valid email address.  After a delay of up
to one day, you should receive an acknowledgement at that address.

Please write in English if possible, as the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators for other languages.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug, and
the precise symptoms of the bug.  If you can, give a recipe
starting from `emacs -Q':

1. On Mac OS X Lion go into system preferences.
2. Click on speach
3. Click on text to speech
4. Check Speak selected text when key is pressed
5. click on change key button and select the button you want to use. I
use <Alt-'>
6. Got to emacs and Highlight some text in a buffer
7. press the speech key combo for me <Alt-'>
8. The name of the buffer is spoken not the highlighted text.

This worked properly in Snow Leapard.

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.94.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin, NS apple-appkit-1038.36)
 of 2012-02-27 on bob.porkrind.org
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1138
Configured using:
 `configure '--host=x86_64-apple-darwin' '--build=i686-apple-darwin'
 '--with-ns' 'build_alias=i686-apple-darwin'
 'host_alias=x86_64-apple-darwin' 'CC=gcc -mmacosx-version-min=10.5''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: nil
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: nil
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Apropos

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  yas/global-mode: t
  yas/minor-mode: t
  save-visited-files-mode: t
  wrap-region-global-mode: t
  wrap-region-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  textmate-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
u C-a C-d C-d C-x C-s C-x b * s h <return> p w d <return> 
b u <return> <wheel-down> <double-wheel-down> <triple-wheel-down> 
<triple-wheel-down> C-x b n e w <return> <M-S-return> 
A d d SPC a SPC p a g e C-: C-: C-e SPC w h i c h SPC 
m a y SPC n o t SPC b e SPC a SPC f e <backspace> <backspace> 
r e f i n e r y SPC p a g e C-x C-s C-x b <return> 
C-x b C-g C-x 1 C-x 2 C-x o C-x b <return> <M-S-return> 
<M-S-right> l o o g <backspace> k SPC a t SPC m o s 
t SPC f u n d a m e n t a l SPC s c r e e n SPC c a 
s t s SPC o n SPC r o u t e s SPC a n d SPC p a g e 
s SPC a n d SPC c o n t r o l l e r s C-x C-s <help-echo> 
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <wheel-up> <double-wheel-up> 
<triple-wheel-up> <triple-wheel-up> <wheel-down> <double-wheel-down> 
<wheel-up> <double-wheel-up> <wheel-up> <wheel-down> 
C-s l i n e C-v C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n 
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-e C-x C-f c o <return> r o u <return> 
<escape> < C-n C-n C-SPC C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n <escape> 
w C-u C-SPC C-SPC C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-x C-f r o u 
<tab> C-x C-f C-a C-k C-g C-x C-f r o <tab> u <tab> 
C-x C-f C-a C-k C-g C-h a b u g <return> C-x o C-s 
r e p C-s C-s C-s C-a C-n C-n C-n C-u C-v C-u C-v C-n 
C-n C-n C-p C-p C-p C-SPC C-; C-; C-; <escape> w <escape> 
x C-y <return>

Recent messages:
Wrote /Users/cmmagid/GTD/newgtd.org

Saving file /Users/cmmagid/.emacs.d/emacs-visited-files...
Wrote /Users/cmmagid/.emacs.d/emacs-visited-files
Mark saved where search started
Mark set [3 times]
Quit [2 times]
Type C-x 4 C-o RET to restore the other window.  
Mark saved where search started
Mark set

Load-path shadows:
/Users/cmmagid/.emacs.d/elpa/inflections-1.0/inflections hides /Users/cmmagid/.emacs.d/el-get/rails-el/inflections
~/.emacs.d/vendor/textmate hides ~/.emacs.d/vendor/textmate.el/textmate
/Users/cmmagid/.emacs.d/elpa/ruby-mode-1.1/ruby-mode hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/progmodes/ruby-mode

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message rfc822 mml mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr
mail-utils linum find-dired novice rect image-mode css-mode skeleton
rainbow-mode mule-util apropos newcomment dabbrev dired-aux
multi-isearch tabify org-wl org-w3m org-vm org-rmail org-mhe org-mew
org-irc org-jsinfo org-infojs org-html format-spec org-exp ob-exp
org-exp-blocks org-agenda org-info org-gnus org-docview org-bibtex
bibtex org-bbdb pcmpl-unix shell server rename-sgml-tag
mark-more-like-this inline-string-rectangle mark-multiple dirtree
dired-x windata tree-mode tree-widget iy-go-to-char yas/ruby rhtml-mode
rhtml-navigation rhtml-sgml-hacks rhtml-ruby-hook sgml-mode rhtml-erb
rhtml-fonts yasnippet dropdown-list derived assoc vc-git rinari jump
inflections findr ruby-compilation which-func inf-ruby
save-visited-files cus-edit cus-start cus-load wrap-region
Save-visited-files-autoloads iy-go-to-char-autoloads
rainbow-mode-autoloads rinari-autoloads jump-autoloads
inflections-autoloads findr-autoloads ruby-compilation-autoloads
inf-ruby-autoloads ruby-mode-autoloads yaml-mode-autoloads remember
org-remember org-datetree org byte-opt warnings advice advice-preload
ob-emacs-lisp ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table org-footnote org-src
ob-comint ob-keys ob ob-eval org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list org-faces
org-compat org-entities org-macs noutline outline cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs grep compile paren color-theme-railscasts .loaddefs yari
thingatpt sudo-save vline coffee-mode comint ring rvm rspec-mode
ansi-color edmacro kmacro ruby-mode color-theme wid-edit el-get
help-mode easymenu view autoload help-fns bytecomp byte-compile cconv
macroexp package tabulated-list dired regexp-opt ido peepopen textmate
easy-mmode cl imenu time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe
lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process ns multi-tty
emacs)