Subject: bug#11131: 24.0.94; Apropos bookmarks

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 13:35:40 -0400

>> Again: "Which part of "ido-like" would you like to see there?".
> With the default interface the following are turn-offs (which is pretty
> much everything)
>   - TAB,
>   - work window getting split in to two
>   - Using mouse or RET for final choice

IIUC, you're looking into making icomplete provide what you need, so
this is tracked elsewhere now.

> Since my bookmarks are function names, substring completion is what I
> desire.  (Many functions share the *same* prefix)

I haven't changed the default, but I have added a `category' of
`bookmark', so you can use substring completion simply by customizing
completion-category-overrides.

> [Context Switch] I think having a standard hook to choose the default
> name of bookmark will also be useful.  In prog-modes, I will probably
> set it to which-function.

I'd be happy to install patch that goes along these lines (tho I'd probably
prefer "filename:functionname").

>>> Have bookmark use completing-read-function.
>> It does, since it calls completing-read which in turn calls the
>> completing-read-function.
> May be there is a reason why completing-read-function is not
> customizable?

Yes: it's expected to be modified by Lisp code rather than via
a Custom setting.  The Customize UI wouldn't be able to provide much
guidance as to what value the user could want to put there.

        Stefan