Subject: bug#11131: 24.0.94; Apropos bookmarks

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 14:04:28 -0400

>>> With a simple ido-like completion (or iswitchb-like completion),
>>> I can jump to the function name quickly without typing the whole
>>> function name.
>> Again: "Which part of "ido-like" would you like to see there?".
> The answer has to be how the UI works (i.e., how I *interact* with the
> completion mechanism and not how completions are computed.)

In that case the change can't be active by default because that would be
incompatible with our desire for a consistent completion UI.

> It would be wonderful if -
>   All aspects of completion happens right within the mini-buffer.
> With the default interface the following are turn-offs (which is pretty
> much everything)
>   - TAB,
>   - work window getting split in to two
>   - Using mouse or RET for final choice

I'm not exactly sure about what you mean by the above.  IDO still uses
TAB and RET in mostly similar ways to the default UI, and still splits
the window when displaying the *Completions* buffer.

Have you tried icomplete-mode?

> Since my bookmarks are function names, substring completion is what I
> desire.  (Many functions share the *same* prefix)

It seems this can't be changed by customizing
completion-category-overrides right now, so we'll need to change
bookmark.el's completion table to provide a `category'.

> [Context Switch] I think having a standard hook to choose the default
> name of bookmark will also be useful.  In prog-modes, I will probably
> set it to which-function.

Sounds fine.  Patch welcome.

>>> Have bookmark use completing-read-function.
>> It does, since it calls completing-read which in turn calls the
>> completing-read-function.
> May be there is a reason why completing-read-function is not
> customizable?

You can customize it, just not with Custom.  No particular reason.

        Stefan