Subject: Re: bug#11131: 24.0.94; Apropos bookmarks

From: Jambunathan K <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 22:22:50 +0530

>> With a simple ido-like completion (or iswitchb-like completion), I can
>> jump to the function name quickly without typing the whole function
>> name.
>
> Again: "Which part of "ido-like" would you like to see there?".

The answer has to be how the UI works (i.e., how I *interact* with the
completion mechanism and not how completions are computed.)

It would be wonderful if -

  All aspects of completion happens right within the mini-buffer.

With the default interface the following are turn-offs (which is pretty
much everything)

  - TAB, 
  - work window getting split in to two
  - Using mouse or RET for final choice

> IDO completion has many differences compared to Emacs's historical
> prefix-completion.  But Emacs's current default completion code supports
> several of those features.
>
> E.g. in Emacs-24, C-x b provides substring completion (and if you
> enable icomplete-mode which just shows you the list of completion
> candidates at the end of the minibuffer, it gets even closer to
> iswitchb).
>
>> -	    (completing-read prompt
>> +	    (ido-completing-read prompt
>
> That is not an option: we want the completion behavior to be consistent,
> and there's nothing magical about bookmarks which justifies a thoroughly
> different behavior, I think.
> OTOH, maybe bookmarks have particular properties which justify tweaking
> the completion behavior for them, just like it is the case for C-x b.
> E.g. we could make C-x r b use substring completion.

Since my bookmarks are function names, substring completion is what I
desire.  (Many functions share the *same* prefix)

[Context Switch] I think having a standard hook to choose the default
name of bookmark will also be useful.  In prog-modes, I will probably
set it to which-function.

>> Have bookmark use completing-read-function.
>
> It does, since it calls completing-read which in turn calls the
> completing-read-function.

May be there is a reason why completing-read-function is not
customizable?

>         Stefan