Subject: Re: bug#11131: 24.0.94; Apropos bookmarks

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 09:18:59 -0400

> With a simple ido-like completion (or iswitchb-like completion), I can
> jump to the function name quickly without typing the whole function
> name.

Again: "Which part of "ido-like" would you like to see there?".
IDO completion has many differences compared to Emacs's historical
prefix-completion.  But Emacs's current default completion code supports
several of those features.

E.g. in Emacs-24, C-x b provides substring completion (and if you
enable icomplete-mode which just shows you the list of completion
candidates at the end of the minibuffer, it gets even closer to
iswitchb).

> -	    (completing-read prompt
> +	    (ido-completing-read prompt

That is not an option: we want the completion behavior to be consistent,
and there's nothing magical about bookmarks which justifies a thoroughly
different behavior, I think.
OTOH, maybe bookmarks have particular properties which justify tweaking
the completion behavior for them, just like it is the case for C-x b.
E.g. we could make C-x r b use substring completion.

> Have bookmark use completing-read-function.

It does, since it calls completing-read which in turn calls the
completing-read-function.

        Stefan